is this for real???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
i received this email today, do you think its legit..??? :?: The cabincrafts site at the bottom is my website..
Hi,

I am writing to you on behalf of one of our clients. We are perusing the web for good places to advertise and came across your site.

I would like to enquire into the purchase of ad space, particularly for a text based ad or link. We prefer to purchase ads for a term of one year and can arrange to pay you upfront via Paypal once the link has been posted.

Please let me know if you have any interest in the above and thanks in advance for your consideration.

Regards,

Sandra

www.marketzing.co.uk

Our Ref: XY23ms9AA - www.cabincrafts.co.uk

stevebuk":15lgqduj said:
i received this email today, do you think its legit..??? :?: The cabincrafts site at the bottom is my website..
Hi,

I am writing to you on behalf of one of our clients. We are perusing the web for good places to advertise and came across your site.

I would like to enquire into the purchase of ad space, particularly for a text based ad or link. We prefer to purchase ads for a term of one year and can arrange to pay you upfront via Paypal once the link has been posted.

Please let me know if you have any interest in the above and thanks in advance for your consideration.

Regards,

Sandra

http://www.marketzing.co.uk

Our Ref: XY23ms9AA - http://www.cabincrafts.co.uk
If they don't pay then u can just remove the ad. Don't see point if it was fake unless the link goes viral

There is only a contact email on the site and the domain name is not registered to a business but a private person.

I would avoid as you have no way of knowing if this is a scam to get your paypal details.

Tom

I would be careful as it could be a scam. Having said that I was contacted by someone like this and I replied. For one year I hosted an advert on a few pages and got paid a bit for it. I didn't get much (couple of hundred IIRC) but it wasn't much work to install the advert so over all it was worth it. They didn't renew the following year.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they offer to pay via Paypal, the only minor concern is that they could be paying via a Paypal account that isn't theirs - i.e. a hacked one. But they'd be more likely to procure goods that can be converted to cash - not an advert.

Your Paypal details - that's just an email address, which realistically is of no monetary value to them, so zero risk in giving it out.

See what happens, although I would expect payment prior to the link being placed and not afterwards.

Dibs

If it's like the company I dealt with they will want to see what the advert will look like before handing out payment. I put it up as a demo for 24 hours, they liked it so I pulled it off the site and awaited payment which arrived after a couple of days. Total work time was probably 30 minutes so that I suppose makes it the most profitable work I've ever done.

Good point, I wasn't that fussed though, in fact I was pretty fed up with running the site to be honest. I sold it a few months after the ads ran out for a fist full of cash which was a great outcome for me - that was also to a guy that just emailed as it happens.

wobblycogs":1egh7l4g said:
Good point, I wasn't that fussed though, in fact I was pretty fed up with running the site to be honest. I sold it a few months after the ads ran out for a fist full of cash which was a great outcome for me - that was also to a guy that just emailed as it happens.

So you were behind Amazon! Full marks, mate :D

thanks guys, i have asked what the link will be and how much they are prepared to pay, will keep you informed..

I received the same email. Like many of the commentators, I am inclined to accept and post an ad/link as it is easy to change it back out.

My concern (and pet peeve with many many websites) is that there is no way to find out the full name of 'sandra' or a phone number to ring. Nor can we ascertain from the initial email what business sector the client is really in.

I have successfully had a similar approach from a person named 'peter' who turned out to really be Taquir in India. However, they paid for a 6 month posting and the end client is real...

Be interesting to see how this all plays out.

best regards

Alan

I suspect it's about back links or whatever the term is. I'd be curious to know what the Google ranking is of the sites that have been approached?

Dibs

must admit, i contacted them and asked a few questions and not heard back since, so will see how it pans out..

By the way, just to keep up the confusion. My business focusses on technology and social media supporting the recruitment and HR industries -nothing to do with woodworking :)

Alan

Latest posts

Back