is this dovetail jig any good.........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hi,

i was wondering if anyone has bought this jig or/and if it was worth buying!
i am 15 and am busy saving money up so i can buy it!!!

thanks

Tom

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

You wouldn't like to give us a bit more of a clue as to which jig you're thinking of would you? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1upb8b6n said:
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

You wouldn't like to give us a bit more of a clue as to which jig you're thinking of would you? :wink:

Yes this would help :lol: Welcome to the forums anyway :)

Hi Tom,

I've never used one myself although if I remember correctly the smaller version got good reviews in the woodworking mags (but don't quote me on this).

The only problems with this kind of jig is it's only got a fixed layout for the dovetail pins and you can only cut half blind dovetails. Not really problems but things to be aware of :)

FYI you can buy this jig cheaper at D&M tools - http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/newsear ... ge=&issue=

ah thanks for the info!!!

does this mean that i can't cut dovetails that show? i don't really understand dovetails i am fairly new to them!

also is there any other (cheap) dovetail jigs this length that are worth having a look at??
or maybe even a dovetail jig i could make in the workshop!!

thanks again

Tom

Hi Tom
Have you tried cutting them by hand? It's a great way to learn about joinery, get used to the tools and it's very satisfying to put together a handcut dovetail joint.
Give it a go, and keep saving your money for a Woodrat...!

WOW!!

That woodrat looks absalutly SUPER!!!!

I'll have to save a bit longer for that (although there is some simple dovetail jigs at more than that price!!)

hmmmm....by hand???? what is this prime ape term!!!
one question....does it plug in??!!!!!!!

only joking..i have attemted by hand but it kinda went wrong!
i suppose it's "practice makes perfect!"

Cheers

Tom

thomaskennedy":g6i431fy said:
i suppose it's "practice makes perfect!"

Yes when it comes to hand cut dovetails you need alot of practice but once you learnt how to do them they don't take long to cut and is very rewarding - apparently, I haven't yet had the time to practice my hand cut dovetails although last time I attempted them I was pleased with myself.

Despite being a 'rat owner, I have been forced to hand-cut dovetails on my evening class. 'Tis ok, and it is satisfying, but it's just too slow.

Adam

is the "woodrat" a good investment?
is it easy to set up?

etc etc..

cheers

Tom

Shh, don't mention w***r** in here, they all go nuts.

To answer your question though, yes, I find it easy, a few others find it hard, and others again prefer other jigs such as the Leigh, or the Trend.

The thread worth looking through, as this topic has been flogged to death is here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=943

You have to read all the way through, but it probably gives you a nicely balanced view. The best thing of course, is to have a go on one.

Adam

asleitch":2i237y05 said:
...this topic has been flogged to death...
I reckon we could flog it some more! :wink:
Still, I hope you noticed it was me who recommended the W**dr*t above. Must be your influence as I'm a Leigh person at heart (despite recent customer services quibbles!)

Hi Tom,
I have the Trend jig, and it's 'OK'. Set up is a pain, but once it's set up, it produces passable dovetail joints which look very much like they were made using a jig. I hardly ever use it nowadays, because unless you are making a lot of joints, it's quicker to do them by hand. I'd recommend you spent about £15 on a nice Japanese pullsaw (see the Axminster site) and start cutting them by hand. Practice does make perfect, and you'll be a better woodworker whilst saving about £100 you could spent on other tools in the process!

Back