is this beech timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been asked if I can supply a piece of timber 200mm by 30mm by 2100mm. It is for outside use. I have this which I have planed up and cut to size. I'm not very good at identifying timber.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

I think its beech? Does anyone know what the gowing rate for this is PAR. Is it suitable for outside

Mark

It certainly looks like Beech from your photo.

Beech is not particularly durable, in my opinion, and tends to discolour to a greyish tinge when weathered.
Arguably an attractive colour in Oak, but Beech is a bit bland for that to my mind.

All best.

From the edge shot it looks like beech to me. Not good outside, not recommended. PAR varies depending on source and quality, my guess £37 - 55 per cu ft... I could be a little low on that as I always buy sawn boards which are cheaper of course. And there would be a serious premium for a single PAR board like that anyway - you have around half a cu ft there (roughly).

maybe he's making a boat from it :lol:

sorry, just been silly

Hi, a chap I know has asked if I had a suitable piece of timber to bridge a gap in a conservatory he is makeing for his father. It is going to be well treated and then painted. He asked me awhile ago to plane some sleapers and rout groves in. :shock: These were being used to hold up the conservatory roof. I can't wait to see the end result. The house is beautifull and was the stables for Louis Carrols vicarage. What is the name of that stuff you can paint over creosoted timber to allow normal paint to be used?

Mark

Definitely beech...if you want something for exterior use, your best bet is something like iroko. Teak is also good but you'll need to see Bob Diamond (or one of his cronies) for a 2nd mortgage :mrgreen: - Rob

Chestnut - indeed, obviously used widely when green (fences etc) but much under-rated I feel as a seasoned stock. Years ago I got some and it works very nicely, quite like oak but slightly less open. It looks great too. But it seems quite rare to find anyone seasoning it and supplying as such... which is a real shame I think, and we have an abundance of it here in the U.K.

p.s. just noticed Mac Timbers declaring 'elm is the new oak'. Maybe, just maybe... but it wasn't before the disease. Nelson didn't sail the seven seas on elm now, did he?

Latest posts

Back