Is this an eBay scam?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignoring any previous transaction, the seller has in effect sent you unsolicited goods.
You should request they formalise the return otherwise arrange collection within 28 days after which time you will dispose of their items as you see fit.

Last edited:
Have a chat with your local police station. If the card is stolen the number will be on record.

The whole thing smells rotten.

Disco 3 listed clearly with engine failure/spares repairs.
Buyer message: “Is the car fully working?”
I point out the obvious.
Buyer response: “whats its top sped [sic]?”

Spindle moulder on sale for £1600
Buyer offers £1300
I counter £1450
He then buys it for £1600.

Drip feed oiler on sale, described and pictured as having cracked glass.
Buyer negotiates price with me, then buys it.
Buyer messages next day: “Is the glass intact?”

I seem to be getting more and more buyer weirdness. Are these scams, or are the buyers just cretins?

I sold something. The buyer told me he hadn't received it, so I gave him the Hermes parcel number, the Hermes comfirmation of delivery and the very clear photo taken of it inside their front door. They then asked me to check it out further as it was a different parcel, which it obviously wasn't. I haven't heard since, but I haven't checked my ebay rating.

I'd go for many buyers not fully compos mentis.
I have a similar situation I can quote about an old 27" Apple iMac fully and so fully described as not working and discussed in emails as not working, it gets to UK destination and are then told the buyer has taken it to bits and cant repair it wants his money back. eBay backed the buyer for ages, eventually and apparently only due to the buyer not returning the item in a set timescale their claim was dismissed.

So, I spoke to an eBay rep yesterday after which I decided to refund the buyer, through Ebay.

The eBay rep confirmed that the purchase was made using a credit card through EBay’s payment portal.
What I had missed, was that I have been so used to PayPal payments in the past, that since migrating to Ebay Managed Payments, purchasers now have multiple options to pay, of which credit cards is just one.

Reason for refunding was that after chatting with the rep, it’s very possible this is someone who’s not that clued up on correct process to follow, or how to request to return.

I didn’t see any reason to delay by messaging the buyer, I have the item back, right thing to do was to action refund ASAP, so as not keep the buyer wondering if they will get their money back.

Anyway, better safe than sorry but on this occasion am happy to say my suspicions were unfounded, thanks for all the views, helpful.

Back