Is this a router, or is this a router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might as well just get a full CNC router solution that you do not have to hold, don't quiet get how you can have a handheld CNC router, who is in charge ?

You might as well just get a full CNC router solution that you do not have to hold, don't quiet get how you can have a handheld CNC router, who is in charge ?

I don't get what you don't get, I think they are great, no need for one myself as I can't justify cost but seen them used, bloody amazing, great for site work, small shops, hobby stuff.

To me with CNC you set up your X,Y,Z datum on the material and run your program, with cutting many pieces out of a sheet the software will also optimise to reduce waste, why do you need to hold it, how can something you are holding do something automatically. Will look into these as I am obviously missing some points.

To me with CNC you set up your X,Y,Z datum on the material and run your program, with cutting many pieces out of a sheet the software will also optimise to reduce waste, why do you need to hold it, how can something you are holding do something automatically. Will look into these as I am obviously missing some points.

There is some movement within a (relatively) small window of operation; the distance from the spinning-cutter to the parts you hold is not fixed, and the machine will adjust to compensate for your errors.

IMHO a good solution for when you need to take the tool to the work (because it is large) rather than mounting things on a CNC table.

Obviously the major down side is productivity; you need someone concentrating all the time it is in use, no setting up the next job or cleaning down the parts just finished as ‘normal’ CNC operations work.

I had this mindset before too, especially when i thought about how you could just set up a cnc to do its job while you do other stuff instead of having to hold but then, which makers apart from very large industrial shops have the space for a cnc that can take large pieces of work. theres no limit to the size of workpiece you can work on and is more versatile.

I came across it on YouTube a couple of weeks ago. What an amazing bit of kit.
For the same money you could have decent router table but I think in the right circumstances this machine would be fantastic.

Probably have to wait until Parkside do one before I can add it to my tool kit though.😜

Shaper is owned by TTS Tooltechnic Systems who also own Festool and SawStop.

Apparently Festool has the patent for a trackless track saw using the shaper technology, could be an interesting one if it ever gets made!

To me that sounds really pointless, why would you need a CNC tracksaw to cut straight lines without a track. It would take more time to setup than to just make the cut manually. Having also looked at the router I can see that the actual motor & cutter can move within the main body with the handles so it makes sense but at the end of the day it is just a tool to allow a lesser skilled person to do what a skilled person can and being part of Festool just confirms the concept but remember that film where everything was made by automation until the system broke and then they needed a skilled person to make the part required manually, could this be the future!

To me that sounds really pointless, why would you need a CNC tracksaw to cut straight lines without a track. It would take more time to setup than to just make the cut manually. Having also looked at the router I can see that the actual motor & cutter can move within the main body with the handles so it makes sense but at the end of the day it is just a tool to allow a lesser skilled person to do what a skilled person can and being part of Festool just confirms the concept but remember that film where everything was made by automation until the system broke and then they needed a skilled person to make the part required manually, could this be the future!
I guess the difference is that even a very skilled person is going to have to use templates to achieve the level of precision shown in the video,,this gadget does it for you, and the way things go it might just turn up in lidles in the not too distant future,,,I will have to wait till then.

At first I thought the track saw thing sounded pointless but then thought maybe you would use it on the same set up as something you were routing? For example where the router would take several passes and be slow to make a long straight cut you could just swap to the track saw to make that cut and just use the router for the curved/ intricate bits?

Who knows what festool are developing for the track Saw? If it needs tape like the origin then it may not be too useful, but if they can find a way of guiding the saw whilst referencing something else it could be interesting. Machine vision/sensors/learning is moving extremely fast.

What a fantastic machine, if it works as well as they suggest, but it could be an ideal solution for a problem that doesn't really exist?
I can see uses for this type of system for an old guy with shaky hands. I'm sure they could develop some system of laser/IR triangulation so you don't need the markers. Just pick up the machine, set start and finish points, set to 'straight line' and cut.

Like a Domino allows you to take the tool to the workpiece (rather than taking the workpiece to a morticer) I can see how the Shaper allows you to take the CNC to a workpiece, rather than the usual way round.

Doesn't personally float my boat, but I can see how it'd be useful for some work. The high cost puts me off (vs the fact you could get a CNC machine for the same money).

Pros: portability, accuracy
Cons: cost, can't adjust tool height whilst cutting
I wonder how much the consumables cost? ie the price of replacement rolls of domino tape ...

Latest posts

Back