Is this a Roman era tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Terry. We used to call that process caulking. Look back three or four posts and see mine about the cotton reels. Like your idea about rope making. The resultant caulking wr made did resemble braided rope. If the objects were made in different sizes they would produce differing circumference of ropes. You might have solved a mystery.

John

Ah --- I remember it well --- concidered by many to be the best 'April Fool' joke ever pulled off by a reputable news reporter.
It was certainly excellent.

There was an amazing 8 page news paper produced in Japan that was at least on a par with that with a variety of articles and advertising that on first glance all seemed genuine but when you read it carefully was wonderfully satirical.

Just a guess but I think it may be used for roman rope making.

There used to be a craze for french knitting 50-60 years ago which on a diy basis involved a cotton reel with 4 nails at one end. The purpose was to knit the thread using the nails as a "frame", and as it was completed it emerged fro the end of the hole in the middle.

Having different sized holes would allow different sizes of rope (or possibly different yarns, to be knitted into ropes.

I understand many of these have been found at roman military sites - I am sure they would need rope for all manner of things from holding the toga closed to building a ballista!
As long ago as that? You've just made me realise how old I am Terry - we did French knitting at school!

I think they were almost certainly used for some sort of textile manufacture. This video demonstrates one possibility:

Back