is this a ratcheting torque wrench ??????????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

workshopgranny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, can anyone tell me if this is a ratcheting torque wrench? that is the best I could find when I used a search engine! if not, what is it, and what vehicle would it be used on, and how old is it, there is no name or writing on it at all to give me a clue :cry: ?

it is 23 cm long and very heavy! it does ratchet, and the end is hexagonal and the other side is a square hole?

any ideas would be gratefully received!!!

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 822
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 822
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 822
I think it's one third of an engineer's ratchet drill. The drills had a square tapered shank, which went in the square hole (that's the second third). The third third (if that makes sense), was a sort of stand you clamped to the job, with an arm carrying a screwed rod. The screwed rod had a dimple in the end, which engaged with the cone on the other side of the ratchet. In use, you cranked the drill round with the handle you've got, and applied pressure with the screw. Very effective, as long as you didn't mind taking your time. Electric drills rather saw them off.

I'd agree with that. I have a similar affair in my garage somewhere, mine has a morse taper hole though.

This shows the sort of thing described - ratchet brace held in a drilling pillar:

IMG_0309.jpg

Back