Is this a good deal? Router + table combo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
The little old Elu now Dewalt small router table was recommended to me a few months ago by dickm as suited to my small scale miniature work.

Now things are progressing I'm looking into it a bit more closely as it will vastly expand the complexity of what I can do. (Having looked into the options with CNC I don't think we can afford it at this stage).

I found this deal from a Google search and wondered if it was a good deal or not for the combination or whether a different router or table would be better.
http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID=67676

Please remember when replying that I'm doing really small scale stuff so I need really good accuracy and fine adjustment capabilities. Being 0.5mm out for my stuff is huge.

I don't think I need a 1/2" router as the specific small scale router bits from Wealden tools and Trend are 1/4".

I've seen good reviews on here for the table - is it equally good for my kind of work? Mouldings etc

And is that router the best one or do I look at the Trend T5 or another Dewalt? I saw the review from Pat Warner which gave the router a good review but less so for a table and seems tricky to swap cutters with the dust extraction.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jennifer,

Hi Jen
Well first of all I didn't realise that that table was still available. I bought it some time in the early 1980's, I forget how much but in the order of £100. A little more, I think. A month's disposable income, anyway.
It was built to a very high standard, with micro adjustment in both height and offset.
The biggest drawback was the small size of the table, which I think (IIUIC) is less of an issue for you.
I'd say it was a good place to start.
FWIW
S

The Elu version of that went for about £25 at auction yesterday.
Having said that what you have found looks like a reasonable deal, although I haven't tried it myself.
You could always send it back it if wasn't what you want.

Jensmith":26vo73r6 said:
The little old Elu now Dewalt small router table was recommended to me a few months ago by dickm as suited to my small scale miniature work.

Now things are progressing I'm looking into it a bit more closely as it will vastly expand the complexity of what I can do. (Having looked into the options with CNC I don't think we can afford it at this stage).

I found this deal from a Google search and wondered if it was a good deal or not for the combination or whether a different router or table would be better.
http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID=67676

Please remember when replying that I'm doing really small scale stuff so I need really good accuracy and fine adjustment capabilities. Being 0.5mm out for my stuff is huge.

I don't think I need a 1/2" router as the specific small scale router bits from Wealden tools and Trend are 1/4".

I've seen good reviews on here for the table - is it equally good for my kind of work? Mouldings etc

And is that router the best one or do I look at the Trend T5 or another Dewalt? I saw the review from Pat Warner which gave the router a good review but less so for a table and seems tricky to swap cutters with the dust extraction.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jennifer,

The Elu one was the first router table I bought about 40 years ago. If the build quality is as good then it is a perfect table for small stuff
5463263719_571ac62bf8.jpg

A 1/4" router is exactly what you want. I can't comment on the quality of the router but it is a good deal. The usual price of the router seems to be 200 pounds+.

FWIW There is interesting point DeWalt does not know how to put it together as the black knob on the vertical table should be on the other side.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

From what I can tell, the router table is still available but you probably pay over the odds for it. Miles tools are selling it at £109 and on Ebay there's a seller with a few in stock asking for £65 (New).

This place is selling it for £45 inc VAT seperately but with the router also as a package deal as link in first post.

It is a small table but it seems to have good adjustments for accuracy and I believe you can also move the router forward and back by up to 3cm.

I guess it would be handy to be able to use the router both in the table and hand held. The Pat Warner router review suggested it was a bit unstable handheld but it seems like you could pay quite a bit more for some other Dewalt / Trend routers so not sure which would be best.

Are there any other routers worth considering?

Jen
Before you go considering other routers, you should be aware that not all routers will fit. The router is mounted on its parallel rods, not by screws through the base, so to use another router it must have exactly the same rod positions. It's not just a case of making new screw holes.
S

Hi Steve,

It says the table fits the dewalt 614, 615, 620, 621 & 621k according to the description on the eBay listing.
I think it also fits the Trend T5
But is one better than the others?

Jensmith":27wevoqo said:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

From what I can tell, the router table is still available but you probably pay over the odds for it. Miles tools are selling it at £109 and on Ebay there's a seller with a few in stock asking for £65 (New).

If you were only buying the table, Yes. But you can also get the table from them for £45.56 Inc Vat

This place is selling it for £45 inc VAT seperately but with the router also as a package deal as link in first post.

It is a small table but it seems to have good adjustments for accuracy and I believe you can also move the router forward and back by up to 3cm.
I think that it is a bit more than that, I cant check for a couple of weeks.

I guess it would be handy to be able to use the router both in the table and hand held. The Pat Warner router review suggested it was a bit unstable handheld but it seems like you could pay quite a bit more for some other Dewalt / Trend routers so not sure which would be best.

Are there any other routers worth considering?
As I said the router by itself is usually much more than the package deal.

Another point is that you can use the router in the table without the legs as a hand held router, this makes it the most stable router ever, Pat Warner did not address this use.

Also as Steve Maskery has said only routers with the same rod positions as the Elu and DW 621 will fit. (The mounting could be adapted to others if you have a good machine shop :lol: :lol: :lol: I would never want to try it.)

So you have few to chose from, and none at a better price/value.
The only question is really will it do exactly what you want.

Its only possible drawback is the space around the router bit on the horizontal and vertical tables. You can't easily make zero clearance inserts. This limits the minimum size of workpiece that can be safely routed.

All in all you won't be wasting your money.

I've just tried to add it to the basket and got this message:

"We are currently updating our web site. Currently Payment system is closed."

Sounds a bit dodgy....

Has anyone used this company? Google search throws up a few question marks and it is a very cheap offer compared to ther companies.....

Damn, thought I had a good deal there.

Jensmith":2qh53vbv said:
I've just tried to add it to the basket and got this message:

"We are currently updating our web site. Currently Payment system is closed."

Sounds a bit dodgy....

Has anyone used this company? Google search throws up a few question marks and it is a very cheap offer compared to ther companies.....

Damn, thought I had a good deal there.
Try giving them a ring.

If I were in the UK now the would be near me :)

Apparently they were gutted by a fire in 2008 and 3 people have just been convicted of Arson this month.

I'll try giving them a ring but apparently they were undergoing maintenance back in Nov 2010 according to their forum.

Did you buy before or after the arson attack Pete?

EDIT: Just tried phoning - number just produces one long continuous tone so that means the line is dead doesn't it? Looks like the fire wiped them out.

Very disappointing.

Well it does look like it's a good deal, and for £139.95, I'd have went for it for sure!... Only a router costed me arround £200 in a local store over here, but it's high quality and all...

Back