Is there such thing as an Auto extractor power switch that is attached to a festool extractor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzarose

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening,

Sorry for the second post in less than 10 minutes, I didn't want to add any more ramblings to the post about bench dogs.

Is there a plug in solution to automatically switch on my Henry whenever I power up my tracksaw or router? I spend an hour or so before dinner this evening cutting and rounding over strips of ply to build shelves and was switching the extractor from router to saw as well measuring and lining up the next cut and a couple of times I was part way through a cut before I realised I hadn't turned on the extractor. In the end I just left it turned on, but obviously thats not ideal from a from points of view, not least I couldn't hear Alexa playing my music! I've seen a few you tubers using remote 'smart' type plugs, but that still relys on me remembering to switch it on, and being a naturally messy worker, I'm trying my hardest to keep the new workshop tidy I want to use the extractor as much as I can.

Any pointers would be much appeciated.

Thanks

Since you have Alexa there anyway, why not just get an Alexa controlled outlet (like this) and ask Alexa to turn your Henry on and off. If you forget and you're half way through a cut it doesn't matter.

Thats the sort of thing thank you, but may be a bit rich in price.

As I'm increasingly finding in this game, Peter Millard seems to have the answer with this video , although I'm having a bit of trouble finding one. I've also found a youtuber in the states who built one using an Arduino, I've got some of the kit and a bit of the knowledge to do that, so that may be a possibility if I can't find a budget friendly ready made solution.

Lidl has the answer for a lot less Mullah.

A wet and dry vac with power take off for <> £60.

There's other threads on here with less costly remote and wired systems.
I intend to spend tomorrow afternoon setting up a wired system on the table saw.
If it comes together ok I'll post the details.

Some googling of Tv and AV standy shut down devices initially raised my hopes but then dashed them just as quick. The majority of them seem to have the ability to shut OFF the vacuum when you turn the tool off, but to turn it ON you need to either use a remote or push a button. Ok for you TV or PC that you one turn on/off once or twice a day, but a pain when making lots of cuts. Time for bed now I think, but I'll do some more perusing of the interwebs over my morning Tea and biscuits.

Thanks for all you replies.

As I'm increasingly finding in this game, Peter Millard seems to have the answer with this video
I'll tell you my experience and then you can make up your own mind.

I bought one of those and it worked well for a few days, then it worked not so well for a few days, and then it didn't work at all.

Ah, not so good then. May be thats the reason I can't find them anymore and that the 'proper' job ones are more decent bit more expensive.
Grrr, I hate spending money on boring things! haha, I'lll do some more digging and report back.

Cheers

What I'm planning to do tomorrow is take a 12v line from the motor of my table saw which will activate a relay which will in turn activate the vac and in turn stop it again when the saw is switched off.
<> £20 + an old transformer of which there are many around the house.

I've just been watching and then reading about a switch a guy in the US made using a Arduino microprosser and a current sensor. The parts would be under £20. I've got a little bit or Arduino experience that I messed about with last winter, but the interest fizzled out after I did all the tutorials and didn't have any real world applications for it, but this me the time to dig my box of bits out!

I've just been watching and then reading about a switch a guy in the US made using a Arduino microprosser and a current sensor. The parts would be under £20. I've got a little bit or Arduino experience that I messed about with last winter, but the interest fizzled out after I did all the tutorials and didn't have any real world applications for it, but this me the time to dig my box of bits out!
I bought a current sensing device but it didn't work so I sent it back and decided on the hard wired route.
Be interesting to see how you get on with an Arduino.

I'll tell you my experience and then you can make up your own mind.

I bought one of those and it worked well for a few days, then it worked not so well for a few days, and then it didn't work at all.
The one I got barely worked at all :ROFLMAO:

Things never go as well as you expect. But I have the 12v take off from the saw installed and I have the rest wired and tested, but not yet fully installed.
It works as I expected, but with the added bonus that the vac stays on for a few seconds after the saw is switched off.

Only had these two days, used them a bit so far they're fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SRXZ5DZ
Not auto start, but I'm up one end of the workshop and I just flick on/off when needed on the remote, rather than walk over and press the extractor on/off.

The auto start options seemed to come with a catch and I couldn't justify a new dust extractor just yet with it built in.

not sure if you can find one, but i have a stanley extension with master slave sockets i used to turn on the extractor....dont use it anymore though as the extractor is now 16a, but it never faltered once.

I'd forgotton about this thread until I just noticed a notification in my inbox. I found a few different DIY ways of doing it but I've not had the time to look in to them, although when I do have time I probably will go that way, if nothing else I enjoy a good electronics project.

I looked in to the stanley power strip ones, seem perfect, but hard to find, may look in to PC type ones at some point.

The IVAC ones look like the proper job, but can't justify the spend (for now at least), pretty cool that you can get remote blast gates to build a full system.

I think for the short term I'll get one of the remote plugs and try either keeping the remote at hand on the bench or in my pocket, or if it comes to it tape it to the end of the vacuum hose.

Thanks all for taking the time to post.

Back