is there any reason why I can't ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pewter is more brittle than lead. If its not going to be disturbed once poured, I would just do it.

no reason at all. It will just dilute the lead on the finished alloy. When you melt it, use a little bit of tallow to clear the muck, especially if it's old stuff.

Thanks, everyone. I couldn't think of a reason why they shouldn't mix, but I thought I'd ask as I'm no expert in these things. I picked up yet another pewter pint pot for £2 on Sunday (so I've five to do)....... it was a good morning all told - I got a 5ltr coloured Johnstone's pliolite masonry paint (which is enough to do my back walls) for a fiver and a set of four unused Wood Beaver augers for a tenner. :lol:

That sounds an interesting idea Phil. I look forward to seeing some of the photos.

When I was living in France the top notch roof guttering and pipe work is zinc. It lasts for ever and is as soft as poo :shock: It solders very easily and if you put a gas torch on iy t a moment too long you have a nice hole! It looks a bit like pewter and is as soft as lead. That would be an interesting material too as it has such a low melting point making it easy to use?

Back