Is there a way to do this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked if I could change this wine rack for an Oak coloured finish. I wondered if there was any way to make it lighter or remove the original stain and re-apply an oak stain to it? it is pine underneath. :?
DSCN2992.jpg

it would be quicker to make another wouldn't it? Not sure about the central panel though, or how you would do that.

near impossible I'd say and thats not including the change from pine to oak looking.

Maybe suggest that they paint it all except for the central carvings.

Al

Assuming the stain doesn't soak in past the surface then you could get it sand/bead blasted and then just redo with a lighter stain.

You could also try a bit of paint stripper on it somewhere where it won't be noticed to see how much it strips off.

it's possible to get it lighter, but using 2 pack bleaches will deaden the look of the wood, it will give you a lighter base colour to work from though. If i were stipping it i'd daub it heavily with paint stripper, leave to react and pressure hose it somewhere safe, repeating until you've blown the finish off. Messy and expensive and looks like more than 1 wood type to blend and colour when you get to the finishing stage. Not a good candidate probably.

You could also point out that the original reason for storing wine horizontally was to keep the corks wet. With modern screw-top bottles or plastic corks this is totally unnecessary. They could fit twice as much wine in that space!

I suggest you offer to make them a nice oak cupboard which would also hide the messy wiring.

Back