Is there a standard way to splice in a fix for a window sash?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm renovating some of the sash windows around the house. I've got one here that needs a whole new bottom rail and the ends of the stiles need replacing too. I don't have a problem with making the pieces but I was wondering if there's a standard / recommend way to scarf / splice in the new pieces. As you can see in the photo this isn't the first time someone has worked on this window. Unfortunately the previous fixes weren't very good and have totally failed. The repair piece on the stile is apparently attached with a plain scarf. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_184525.jpg
    IMG_20210808_184525.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 114
I'm certainly tempted to just make a whole new sash. There's still a little bit of me that wants to keep the historic timber though, I'm sure by my third or fourth on like this I'll be chucking them on the bonfire!

That new section is poor quality wood from the centre of a very small tree. If you let in a new piece you should try to get the best piece of scots pine you can find, preferably cut from just under the sapwood where the timber contains a high amount of preserving terpenes and extractives.

Scarfng/splicing pointlessly difficult - much easier to replace the component entire. best scots pine is "unsorted" grade redwood, Swedish or Russian

I should probably have said, due to family commitments, I've got to get this job banged out double quick. I don't really have time to track down timber. I've got a load of iroko in stock which I'll be using for repairs or replacement.

I understand the recommendations to remake, but would like to know the answer to the original question - how best to splice in a new bottom piece on the stiles.

I also would consider it a smaller job to patch up rather than remake.

I have one or two, slightly less drastic, similar cases. I might have some good old pine stock, but alternatively was thinking of using Accoya.

cheers

I understand the recommendations to remake, but would like to know the answer to the original question - how best to splice in a new bottom piece on the stiles.
The answer is that it's better to replace the whole stile. I've removed 100s of old sashes and a spliced stile was never a feature, except as an obvious short term bodge, usually failed

Yes perhaps, but a bodge with a shorter life span
I have one or two, slightly less drastic, similar cases. I might have some good old pine stock, but alternatively was thinking of using Accoya.

cheers
No need for Accoya if you do a proper jib to start with - but linseed oil paint is essential

Last edited:
Come to think - the only common repairs with splices are the bottom ends of boards on boarded doors, or the bottom of door frames. Both cases this a job which can be done successfully in situ, as long as the door frame splice is well below the bottom hinge.
Have seen splices on outside linings of sashes but these generally not very good as there is usually not enough material behind them to which to attach the splice

cheers

Did you read the pdf Doug linked to?
Great deal of information on how to do what you want to do.

It's often not easy work but very satisfying when done correctly ie, you cannot see the repair when finished.
Cheers Andy

Last edited:
Did you read the pdf Doug linked to?
Great deal of information on how to do what you want to do.

Ah, sorry - I had saved that for a proper read; I had misread the reference to it as it followed the comment that the OP should make a new sash.

I have now had a (quick) proper look at the SPAB document and it is really good, so thank you @Doug71 - now saved and printed.

Cheers

Back