Is there a retailer carrying Jet JWP-12L (2022 model) thicknesser in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleyh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoping that someone more knowledgeable in UK Workshop community could suggest an online (or offline not too far from Basingstoke) retailer with Jet JWP-12L (2022 model) available to order.
In the usual places I have found only the older JWP-12 (not L) model.

Nearest place I see with JWP-12L is igmtools in Prague, but having never bought from them not sure how warranty works in that case.

Is there any chance I have missed a reputable UK retailer with stock not shown via google?

Did you find this model, I am also considering it? I noticed it has an induction motor, I thought none of these type of thicknessers came with induction.

Did you find this model,
Sort of.
I found and ordered it but delivery is more than week overdue. So I am not entirely sure I am actually getting it from the supplier.

In addition to induction motor it also features:
- turbine to eject chips (like Dewalt 735) - makes active dust extractor non mandatory. I have seen someone using it with a PVC pipe and a bucket
- blade lift mechanism is running on 4 pillars rather than the usual 2 (same as Dewalt 735 I think)

When delivery saga comes to some resolution maybe I will report the result here.

Sort of.
I found and ordered it but delivery is more than week overdue. So I am not entirely sure I am actually getting it from the supplier.

In addition to induction motor it also features:
- turbine to eject chips (like Dewalt 735) - makes active dust extractor non mandatory. I have seen someone using it with a PVC pipe and a bucket
- blade lift mechanism is running on 4 pillars rather than the usual 2 (same as Dewalt 735 I think)

When delivery saga comes to some resolution maybe I will report the result here.
Where did you order from if you don’t mind me asking? I found toolfrance have them but don’t have uk plug, suppose I could just change it over.

Did you find this model, I am also considering it? I noticed it has an induction motor, I thought none of these type of thicknessers came with induction.
Like you I thought this would be a brush motor. Top speed for an induction motor is 2850 on 50Hz supply so implies a high ratio step up belt driveto get to the quoted 9000rpm at the cutterblock as well as the size and weight being greater than a brush motor. It will be interesting to hear back from the OP if indeed an induction motor is indeed fitted

Hi all, I'll put money on the fact it's a brush motor.
You can even see the brush caps in the images & I'm pretty sure I also know the factory that make this model.
The only thicknesser I remember that Jet did with an induction motor was the JPM13CS, that was more stationary though - nice machine but no longer available as far as I'm aware.
Cheers, Nick.

It does have a brush motor as can be seen in a few YouTube videos available, so anyone expecting a quiet machine may be disappointed.

Hi all, I'll put money on the fact it's a brush motor.
You can even see the brush caps in the images & I'm pretty sure I also know the factory that make this model.
The only thicknesser I remember that Jet did with an induction motor was the JPM13CS, that was more stationary though - nice machine but no longer available as far as I'm aware.
Cheers, Nick.

Nick - any word on when we might see some new Laguna UK products in this area?

Having received my JWP-12L I can confirm that @Myfordman and @Nick Laguna UK were correct - JWP-12L does indeed contain Brushed motor and it is noisy (90+dB when there is no load, according to an application on my mobile phone).

Nick - any word on when we might see some new Laguna UK products in this area?
Hi BucksDad, next year earliest as a lot of R&D / CE spec. was put on back burner in last 2 years by the factories to focus on just getting existing items.
But there is a PX12 thicknesser being used v. hard somewhere in the UK on a full hard core commercial test - all looking good so far with great feedback & minor design modifications already agreed by factory to improve it even more ;)
Other machines are being looked at too, but will be some point 2023 earliest again with realistic time frames we work on for production then shipping.
Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
I don't think motor noise is going to be an issue with a Planer / thicknesser .
I agree. Unless I was concerned about annoying the neighbors (I'm not), between the P/T and the dust collection, I always wear hearing protection.

I have a JWP12, not sure whether it is an ‘L’ though. - I would check but a recent house move means it’s buried until I build another workshop 🙁
It has a thickness scale (in cm) on the front and a brushed motor.
It’s the loudest machine I own. 😁

Is there a reason why no-one doesn't put an induction motor on a lunchbox thicknesser (other than cost)
If you've ever taken the belt covers off a floor standing PT you get an idea on what's involved in respect to the gearing to get the cutterhead to the right RPM, the feed rollers etc. so for a benchtop machine it just wouldn't be practical.

Back