Is my router good enough?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parbynat

Established Member
Reaction score
The router in question is a Bosch pof 1200 router.
I have tried this router which is attached to a table on 2 different bits with minimal success.
The 2 bits, are a tongue and groove set measuring 45mm in diameter.
The groove cutter is workable on speed 4 from 6 but the tongue cutter which is doing twice the work is just a nightmare as the bit just labours even at a very slow feed rate.
The cut depth to the bearing is around 10mm so I tried to take 50% of the material but it doesn't seem happy even with that.
I'm aware that this is a cheapish router, am I better upgrading?
Thanks
Parbynat

For that large a bit, i would be looking at a 2kw machine rather than the 1200 you have.

I'm just starting out with this new hobby, I probably should have researched more before buying. Do you have any recommendations for a suitable router?

There are plenty of good makes available and fans of each on here, who will sing their praises. For myself, I chose to use Triton routers. I have one of each of the 3 sizes they offer with the largest (TRA001) being used as a permenant install in my large router table 2400W. The middle size MOF001 is 1400W and is used for the majority of my large handheld working and the JOF001 1010W for light duty work. I also have a couple of Katsu clones of the Makita 700F (700W) one fitted in a small router table and one in a plunge base for small work piece trimming and shaping.
I chose them (triton) as they have a built in mechanism that allows the user to adjust the height of the bit from above the table without having to invest in an expensive lift. It suits my needs and met my cost/features ratio and have safety features and easy change mechanism that suits how I work.

Also look at Trend, Festool, Makita

hth

I agree, I think your machine is a bit too small for the cutters you are using. I have the Triton TRA001 and it's a really good machine. I have mine permanently bench mounted. I couldn't use it hand held, just too big for me. I have a small old ELU MOF 96 for circle cutting, but most of the stuff I do is straight cuts, so bench mounting is ideal. The rise and fall mechanism works very well.
Are you using quality cutters? that can make a big difference.

Thanks for your replies guys. Droogs, sounds like you got a sizeable setup. I'm currently set up in my daughters old bedroom as she has just left home. Currenly I have 4 machine items in there and I have to say I'm loving it, I'll be in a pickle if she breaks up with her bf.
Sandyn, the cutters were bought from amazon for around £15, cant remember the name but they were well reviewed.
What cutters do you use?
I'll go research the routers you both mentioned but I'm already leaning towards triton.

Wealdon or CMT bits will meet your needs. Most of the more experienced members here lean towards Wealdon, as do I as first port of call. Trend were known as a good quality brand in the past but there have been a few posts of bits snapping over the last 12 months or so.

The hitachi m12 is good bang for the money, although it doesnt have table height lift. Go for the older looking model over the newer one

Is it possible to make things easier for yourself by removing as much stock as you can first with a table saw/track saw/circular saw and then use your router just to clean up the last few mm of the profile?

I have had a few Triton routers now and unfortunately have had quite a few issues with them, usually in terms of build quality.

I had to return a Tra001 about 3 times to Screwfix before I got one that didn't sound like the bearings were going to implode.

I had the Tra001 mounted permanently in a table for well over a year and it was mostly ok. I had issues with the auto lock feature and so to solve it I bought a Musclechuck, which worked very well for my smaller cutters but I just couldn't get it to work on bigger cutters, particularly my double-bearing template cutter from Wealden with replaceable cutters. I would get enormous vibration despite every attempt to reduce this following the Musclechuck instructions.

I eventually replaced that router with a Trend T11ek which is far superior in terms of build quality. I still have the exact same issues with the Musclechuck and my Wealden cutter. So much so, that I basically can't use them together and have to go back to the standard collet for that cutter, whereupon it works absolutely perfectly. I did have contact with Musclechuck about it but they basically brushed me off and said it was nothing to do with the chuck... 🙄
That's another story though...

I also have the Jof, smaller Triton as my hand held 1/2" router and it's been fine for quite a while, until the last few months where the auto lock feature just will not self-position the spindle like it's supposed to.
I have to manually rotate the spindle and line up the hole where the pin goes in first, otherwise I cannot plunge the base enough to lock the spindle.
Incidentally, the Musclechuck and my Wealden cutter were also unusable in this router too! So that's 3 routers I couldn't use the Musclechuck and cutter in but hey, must be something I'm doing wrong right?
I'm not bitter though... 😉

Another couple of things with the Triton is, the fence system is kind of weird. I mean, it's not terrible as such, it's just....weird. That's if you're used to the conventional system of twin bars which most of us are.
In some ways it allows you to use it creatively, but in others I feel it restricts you a bit.

The final nail in the coffin for me is that I do a lot of template and guide bush work.
The Triton routers do not out of the box have a system for attaching standard guide bushes. You have to buy a dedicated base made by Trend that has a smaller aperture and two little brass threaded inserts to fit those kind of guide bushes.
You also have to use an alignment cone to centre it etc.
The screws for the base aren't metric either but some less common thread pitch.

I've ended up finding a used Festool OF1400 as my hand held machine which is a superior machine in almost every way.
Festool are crazy money though of course but admittedly they do think outside of the box and their stuff is well thought out.

But yeah, Triton are good and powerful, support/replacement is good from Screwfix but for me, they have too many things that become a bit of a pain.

Maybe try and find a used Trend T10 or something.

I also had problems with the Triton routers, eventually bought an Hitachi M12ve which does everything I have asked of it with a muscle chuck! but did spend the best part of a day setting it up with a panel raising bit, for the smaller hand held stuff I use a Draper Expert, the see through base and three work lights are a boon.

Parbynat my first router was an Elu MOF96, 1/4” been very pleased with it, however last year I/we had a need for a larger more powerful machine, need ? well it was the excuse needed to buy a 1/2 router!! We were building a new oak staircase for my sons house with large tenons plus there is an upcoming kitchen fit for number one daughter and I borrowed a 1/2 machine to cut the worktop joint on the last one I did.
Anyway I opted for a Makita, I looked at several other brands but the Makita “feels” right some of the others in my opinion were numb didn’t like them at all. I’m not an expert on woodworking (Engineering yes) but I do like to have nice tools and believe if they are well made good brands and feel right they will generally serve you well.
Cheers John
PS Wealden tool company were very helpful with choice of cutters for the large string to newal post tenons

Same here with issues with Triton, I have a TRA001 in one of my tables and there are clearly quality control issues with mine. The accessory plastics were broken when I took it new out of its box. It didn't bother me at the time however as none of it was needed for table use but other things have broken since.

That said, plenty of happy Triton users on here and I suspect you could pick most brands and find the fans and detractors.

Thanks for the input guys.
Yesterday I bought the triton TRA001, I'm waiting for the text or email to go and pick it up from toolstation.
Quite a few negative comments about the router, fingers crossed it turns out to be a good buy.

I have a big orange Triton router in my table and it has performed very well and worked hard with no issues. It has been modified so you can fully raise without it operating the power switch to make life a little easier and it would be a great router to use in a Jessem Prestige lift, fit a muscle chuck and remove the locking mechanism for a very precise setup. I have the little Bosch 600 1/4 router but it is only used with small cutters for light work and often needing multiple passes but really handy for handheld work making templates.

Yesterday I bought the triton TRA001.....
Quite a few negative comments about the router, fingers crossed it turns out to be a good buy.

It'll be fine.
It's basically a solid router and nice and powerful but like most things it has a few 'idiosyncrasies' that you get used to.

I still use mine. I just don't use it in the table due to the auto lock not working and access to the collet being tricky.

Hope you enjoy it 😊👍

Back