Is my mortiser up to it!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've cut the tenons for my sapele double glazed casements. So ready to cut the mortises.

The mortses will be 35mm deep and using a 12mm chisel. The mortise machine is the small JET/Axminster 1/2hp one which I don't think is available now. The chisel is sharp as it has not been used before.

Do you think it will do it? If not then I will have to make a jig for the pillar drill and chisel which over 35mm is not filling me with confidence!

Richard

Give it a try with the mortiser, if it isn't up to the job remove the bulk of the material with pillar drill then use the mortiser to square up the holes.

I've cut the tenons for my sapele double glazed casements. So ready to cut the mortises.

The mortses will be 35mm deep and using a 12mm chisel. The mortise machine is the small JET/Axminster 1/2hp one which I don't think is available now. The chisel is sharp as it has not been used before.

Do you think it will do it? If not then I will have to make a jig for the pillar drill and chisel which over 35mm is not filling me with confidence!

Richard

Yes it will do it.

My mate has the small record morticer and I've done morticing in sapele and Iroko with it. It's a bit carp, too much pressure and the bit jams, but it certainly will do it.

the morticer bit will have a slot - set it so the slot faces to one side. When morticing work along the morticer so the chips eject into the morticer hole formed - it helps the chips clear and lowers the pressure on the machine

Just tried some trial mortises in some scrap Sapele and it goes through fine. As I've got 20 mortisers to cut I've bought a new Japanese style chisel. Bit expensive but if it's as good as the reviews then it will be worth it. One reviewer had a similar small mortiser similar to mine and this chisel made it much easier for the machine to cut.

Richard

Back