Is it worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just finishing a patio table, tilt top, gate leg.

I spent £130 on iroko, and have just one board left over. Another tenner on hinges and bolts. It's taken 6 days and not yet sanded. I itch from head to toe (and I mean from head to toe, and everywhere in between that was most definitely NOT exposed :oops: ).

Alternatively i could have gone shopping.

OK so it's not very big, but even so. BTW, am I right in thinking we should be able to seat 8 at a 1.5m dia table? I think so but SWMBO is not convinced.

Now where is that big jar of ointment?

S

those cheapo garden sets are actually better than one might think. However, to get something which is bespoke, substantial and comfortable is something only a skilled woodworker can be proud of.

The Itching is worth it Steve!

That aldi table is a 4 seater 90cm dia. So 150cms I think would be adequate for 8.

Steve

We bought a solid teak table and 4 non-folding chairs + parasol and 4 cushions for about £450, and so your itching will probably give you quite a saving in the end (despite all the showers and baths to wash off the dust :D )

Iroko is a great wood for causing allergic reactions. Unless I use barrier cream when working it, my skin splits around the ends of my fingers in about 24 hours. Trouble is that price, performance and availability make it about the best choice for outdoors stuff these days.

A lot of mass produced stuff costs way less than I can buy the materials for-especially imported garden furniture. Whe you factor in the time to make it, you could of had that rosewood hammock to go with it for free. :lol:
Well, ok, maybe not quite. But it is amazing how cheap they give the stuff away for.
Teak and Iroko. Not exactly top hand planing timbers are they Steve? :lol: Where's that belt sander? :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Re: the itching, Steve, you'll have to invest in one of these before your next Iroko project :p :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

Is that Philly's guitar playing suit?

I had the skin splitting thing with Iroko as well - not nice to have and not nice to look at!

Cheers

Tim

Chris,

You mentioned barrier cream. Something I have been looking for locally without any success as yet.

Could you please tell me what you use and point me in the right direction to obtain some? Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev,

Be aware that there are two general types of barrier cream - one for wet working (oil and grease etc) and one for dry working (dust, cement powder etc). Obviously you would be better off with the "dry"version.

As for where to get some - most Industrial Suppliers / Tool Shops / Builders Merchants stock barrier creams of some description - might be worth getting the old Yellow Pages out and having a phone around.

Screwfix do one, but it is for wet working, so not much use to you I'm afraid!

Cheers

Gary

Trev,

10 years working in the steel industry taught me a lot about barrier creams, and particularly what can happen to your hands if you don't wear them while working with oils and greases! :shock: :?

Regards

Gary

Trev,

I got it from these folk http://www.arco.co.uk It is a brand called Rozalex and came in a 5 litre bucket (a lifetime supply for me). Arco have a branch not far from me so I picked it up in person. I can't see it on their website but it's all over the place -as for example here http://tinyurl.com/48y3f

It works very well and if I have forgotten to use it and have any split fingers as a result, I find it helps them heal up in just a couple of days.

I have used it for woodworking and also for oily jobs where it seems to help but as I don't do a lot of oily stuff I can't really vouch for it in that situation. It does claim to handle both dry and oily stuff

Rozalex - that name rings a bell from the dim and distant past. Is it pink stuff?

Anyway, it is exactly what I am looking for. My nearest branch of Arco is at West Brom., not a million miles from me, so I'll give them a call.

Grateful thanks, Chris, for your help.

Cheers,

Trev.

Steve Maskery":si04ftut said:
I'm just finishing a patio table, tilt top, gate leg.

I spent £130 on iroko, and have just one board left over. Another tenner on hinges and bolts. It's taken 6 days and not yet sanded. I itch from head to toe (and I mean from head to toe, and everywhere in between that was most definitely NOT exposed :oops: ).

Alternatively i could have gone shopping.

OK so it's not very big, but even so. BTW, am I right in thinking we should be able to seat 8 at a 1.5m dia table? I think so but SWMBO is not convinced.

Now where is that big jar of ointment?

S

Steve,

I sometimes wonder if it would be cheaper to purchase a table at the garden shop, take it to pieces and make a garden table :D :D :D

Back