Is it worth? For the turning comp...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Making a "webpage" app for mobile phones (smarthphones) and the scoreboard?

What im thinking is the app (a uni platform app) could give a contestant the ability to check the scoreboard, that months requirements and the ready and withdrawn buttons. It may be useful for when your in the workshop and wish to check that what your turning meets the requirements, if on the mobile it may save a trip to a PC or even the house/home where the PC is or even trolling through bookmarks on the phone or even tapatalk (which I find annoying and can never find anything).

If there are only a couple that will use it then ill not bother but if quite a few will find it useful then great.

If there are many android/window users (please state) I may even make a dedicated app for droid and windows phones where you can take pictures on the phone and have the phone resize them for you.

iPhone users, sorry a dedicated app that can do the photo stuff is out my reach. I don't wish to pay £100 just to be enrolled as an iApp developer then have to learn there "special" programing code.

Again if there is enough android and window users ill think about doing the more advanced one.

An Android app would occasionally be useful because several times now I've had to come inside and switch on the pc to check what I was supposed to be doing. Of course, I could just print out the requirements at the start of the month.

whilst I have Android I can't see me making use of this at all - I can already go to the pinned monthly requirements page on the phone (if I ever neded to)

appreciate the consideration but I'm with Blister on this

Although I like the idea of an app for my android phone, I don't think it would be used enough to justify being built.
I agree with Blister, it'd be a lot of work for negligible reasons.
Plus, like henton49er, my mobile reception is poor at the best of times & my wifi doesn't reach to the shed.

I think it would just be an app for the sake of having an app.

Whats an App?

Whats a Droid?

For luddites everywhere as the saying goes KISS (Keep it simple stupid) or alternatively if it ain't broke dont fix it

I really don't see the need and it sounds like a lot of work and that the time is better spent in the shed.

Your generosity in offering is appreciated though. It sounds like I'm being churlish of what is a commendable offer of time and effort on your behalf. Thanks =D>

Regarding time a basic app will take 4hours at most. Appreciate many don't know my talents or speed in this area, last night I even managed to give the scoreboard intelligence. It now reads the forum and is able to display data from this forum and even make decisions based on what it finds, it even detects who has submitted images (i no longer have to go through the pictures thread 30 times checking names :D ). What im getting at is in time wise its about 4 hours work to get a uni platform app. I work on this at night when I can't be in the workshop and saves me having to watch her dribble. If you are thinking its not worth it because it would take me days then thats not the case.

Anyhow it was an idea I thought of late last night. As said not worth doing if only a couple would use it.
Currently it looks like about 2 would so its not on my todo list yet.

In all honesty im quite enjoying making the new scoreboard software, thats rare for me as I normally hate programing.

It's a very kind offer Alan, but as has already been said wouldn't it be easier just to print out the spec?

My phone makes phone calls and apparently there's a camera on it too :? :? So any kind of app would not be any good for me.

Colin, an app is a small programme that can be loaded and run on things like smartass phones, iPads and the like and I believe that an andriod is something that can have a terrible pain in all of the transistors down its left side :? :?

I have no idea as to what you are talking about . Please dont think I am trying to be insulting ,but I have never learned this kind of technolegy. As a matter of fact I am not sure if I can spell it correctly I'm not sure if I can spell correctley correctely. :roll: :oops: #-o
Anyway the phone I use has is just for calls no camera even. But you sure are putting a lot into the competion and I'm sure everyone appreciates this. I would have loved to say yes fire away I'm looking forward to it, however I thought an Android was a character from Star Wars :oops: :oops:

The only reason I can reply to your posting at all is because I bought a book Windows for Dummies some years ago .
When I was going to school you had to take off your shoes "if you were lucky to have some" to count more than ten,

Thank you for everything you do to make it easier for people like me

Back