Is it too cold for a finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

como

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I think I may have just made a huge mistake! yesterday I began applying Rustins Plastic Coating to a cabinet that I have been building. I know that this stuff doesn't work very well in low temperatures so I kept my oil filled radiator on all day to keep the workshop warm.
However, it seems that it wasn't warm enough as the finish hasn't took very well at all. The covering is very blotchy and patchy, I checked it this morning before leaving for work and it still seems a bit tacky.
I am presuming that even though the air was fairly warm, that the surface of the wood was still cold and maybe has absorbed some dampness from the cold air.

Luckly it was only the undersides of the pieces that I had applied the finish to, so it may not be completely ruined. Although I am at a loss as to how to proceed with this, could anyone recommend what I should do?

If this finish is not suitable for applying at this time of year, is there anything else I could use which will give a high gloss finish and which has more chance of curing in cold weather?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Mark,

RPC is very temperature sensitive. From memory, it needs 18 or 19 celcius to work effectively..........but don't give up on it! That coat which is blotchy and tacky has obviously not finished curing. When it does, which might take a day or two, sand it back a bit and apply another coat..........but make sure that you get the temperature right up.

Have you got a fan heater, or could you borrow one? If so, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the temp up to where it needs to be, even if your workshop is draughty and cold. Built yourself a temporary enclosure around 3 sides of the piece, using dust sheets, ply, plastic .......anything clean, really.........and set the fan heater in that. If it gets warm enough, the RPC will set in very short order.

Don't, whatever you do, leave this arrangement unattended for long! This is definitely something you should only do during the day when you are at home.........I have had a fan heater catch fire.........

Having set out on the RPC route, you are stuck with it, I think. You would probably need to strip every remnant of it to be able to use a different finish, and that is more difficult than starting your piece from scratch. Nevertheless, I am confident that you will achieve really excellent results with this, if you can get the temperature up.

Mike

We've had a few people over the years experience this problem. To prevent it happening in the future thin the 2 pack lacquer with 10-20% AC Thinners apply thin coats and as Mike says get the heat up.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice chaps, I will take it on board and give it another go.

Is the AC thinners that 'woodfinish man' suggests, acrylic thinners?

Just thought I would post a follow-up to this thread, in case anyone else has the same problems I had.

I followed Mike's advice and built myself an enclosure using a few old sheets which I attached to the metal joists in my workshop using rare earth magnets.
I Placed a little dimplex fan heater in there and within 10 mins the area was really warm and toasty.
Needless to say this was enough for the RPC to go off and was touch dry well within the stated 1 hour.

Overall it was I great success, thanks again Mike for the advice.

Latest posts

Back