Is it time to buy a new tool... router table / table saw / spindle moulder?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironically I want all three... this is hobby use to create varied home projects but I need to do it quickly...

I get your point though; you're saying if this is mainly hobby then taking time and doing it more by hand / without fancy tools is preferable. And I 100% agree... but unfortunately that will probably have to wait for 20 years' time when I've retired... so I guess for now I'm probably mostly in that middle category.

Are Axminster suffering a covid related stock crisis? Pretty much everything seems to be out of stock...?
I don’t think its just them..a lot of similar stores seem to be low on stock right now especially if the goods originate outside of the UK. Had my eye on a nice new plane for a while now (treating myself to a quality item every now and then is totally justified so there) and after weeks of drooling, yesterday I fluked finding a place I'd never heard of who have 1 in stock :D

Ironically I want all three... this is hobby use to create varied home projects but I need to do it quickly...

I get your point though; you're saying if this is mainly hobby then taking time and doing it more by hand / without fancy tools is preferable. And I 100% agree... but unfortunately that will probably have to wait for 20 years' time when I've retired... so I guess for now I'm probably mostly in that middle category.

The irony is that often hand-tool work is quicker than machine work for one-offs. One dovetailed drawer ......In a childish race I've beaten a mate who used some fancy dovetail jig with his router. Two drawers and he'd have been all over me, and three or four ....he'd have been home with his feet up in front of the fire with a good dinner inside him by the time I finished.

OK thanks. I'll correct them later since that's how they advertised it...

Had to bite my tongue... this label was on it.

jointer.jpeg

Nice little unit. He seemed to think you could take the guide arm thingo off and use it to create grooves (it has an extra section on the side to support the piece). Any ideas?

Am mulling based on feedback about P/T though... he wants £100ish... it needs blades... and an extra P/T on the side... might mean a single unit is better value.

The irony is that often hand-tool work is quicker than machine work for one-offs. One dovetailed drawer ......In a childish race I've beaten a mate who used some fancy dovetail jig with his router. Two drawers and he'd have been all over me, and three or four ....he'd have been home with his feet up in front of the fire with a good dinner inside him by the time I finished.

That's a thread I was meaning to search for / start... the rainforest-themed online store had a Trend dovetail jig on offer the other day... seemed fairly handy but a lot of money.

Had to bite my tongue... this label was on it.

View attachment 90977

Nice little unit. He seemed to think you could take the guide arm thingo off and use it to create grooves (it has an extra section on the side to support the piece). Any ideas?

Am mulling based on feedback about P/T though... he wants £100ish... it needs blades... and an extra P/T on the side... might mean a single unit is better value.

For £100 that is a bargain. blades aren't much Resharpenable HSS Planer Knives for CT150, 54A & CT150DL but I am sure somewhere will have them in stock.

Personally I would have it for £100 whilst you decide what to do.

I never did grooves on mine but I believe it is possible to some degree. I would but a little record 043 hand plane and use that instead. other hand planes available and may be more suitable to your specific task.

Back