Is it still too early to ask...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":sdr5k94t said:
How does this get decided? I'm in, though, if it goes ahead.
Based on how I've seen it done on other forums, everyone wanting in confirms this by posting in the official Secret Santa thread for that year. They then submit their Username, real name* and address in a PM to whichever Mod/Admin (or even a trusted* volunteer) is in charge of it, before the cut-off date.

That Mod/Admin collates the PMed info, puts all the names into a hat, then draws them at random, PMing that draw to another person on the thread. Everyone on the list gets a designated person.
Once you get your designated person, you buy a gift and send it to their address in time for Christmas. Obviously the whole thing has to be done quite early so that there's time for everyone to sign up, get names dished out, and get stuff to people via the Royal Fail or Parcel Farce.

Some forums like to set a spend limit, like £10 or £20, to make everything fair.

While it does help greatly, neither real name nor username are technically needed - Mods can see your username from your PM, and you can mail anything FAO "Miss Woodworker, 8 Acacia Avenue, London W1" so long as you put enough stamps on it.
However, knowing at least the username to whom you're sending something can help you decide what to get for that exact person - For example, I won't be buying tools for that MikeG fella, because he says he has enough!! :lol: :wink:

So yeah, chapter and verse as I understand it.
I'll certainly be up for it this year as I now have some vague idea of what stuff might be useful to people!

*Might not be viable now with the new GDPR thing...

Tasky":vz31dczn said:
MikeG.":vz31dczn said:
How does this get decided? I'm in, though, if it goes ahead.
Based on how I've seen it done on other forums, everyone wanting in confirms this by posting in the official Secret Santa thread for that year. They then submit their Username, real name* and address in a PM to whichever Mod/Admin (or even a trusted* volunteer) is in charge of it, before the cut-off date.

That Mod/Admin collates the PMed info, puts all the names into a hat, then draws them at random, PMing that draw to another person on the thread. Everyone on the list gets a designated person.
Once you get your designated person, you buy a gift and send it to their address in time for Christmas. Obviously the whole thing has to be done quite early so that there's time for everyone to sign up, get names dished out, and get stuff to people via the Royal Fail or Parcel Farce.

Some forums like to set a spend limit, like £10 or £20, to make everything fair.

While it does help greatly, neither real name nor username are technically needed - Mods can see your username from your PM, and you can mail anything FAO "Miss Woodworker, 8 Acacia Avenue, London W1" so long as you put enough stamps on it.
However, knowing at least the username to whom you're sending something can help you decide what to get for that exact person - For example, I won't be buying tools for that MikeG fella, because he says he has enough!! :lol: :wink:

So yeah, chapter and verse as I understand it.
I'll certainly be up for it this year as I now have some vague idea of what stuff might be useful to people!

*Might not be viable now with the new GDPR thing...

the mods do need your full name and address because it'll be posted, I took part last year.

thetyreman":1wrg99dq said:
the mods do need your full name and address because it'll be posted, I took part last year.
Address, sure, but why name? Can they not just address it to TheTyreman?

I hope it's on. I really look forward to seeing the gifts each year.
I gather it's a fair to-do to organise so it depends on that as well, I'd guess.
On that note I'm not sure but I don't think it's run by the Mods. Pretty sure last year it was just one fella doing all the organisation too make it work. I'm afraid I don't remember who was good enough to do it to my shame.

I may be missing a jape here but you can of course post to any named individual at any address you like. It will go to that address and the physical recipient would/should then make sure it ends up with the correct recipient, if different.

monkeybiter":209dg828 said:
I may be missing a jape here but you can of course post to any named individual at any address you like. It will go to that address and the physical recipient would/should then make sure it ends up with the correct recipient, if different.
I meant you shouldn't need to give out your real name to internet people you've never met, if you prefer to keep personal data private, is all.
I'm becoming very conscious of that stuff at work, lately.

monkeybiter":3cljr9eh said:

But hubby might assume it is for him, and that would be very sad!

I would love to be part of it again,I received some brilliant screwdrivers from I don't know who but it was the highlight of my present opening,just a warning to be wary of the postage charges though you can end up paying more than your present is worth,especially if the parcel is large Looking forward to it but not the trying to post pictures,I still haven't got the hang of it!

I don't see anyone else volunteering yet, and I can't see anything more complicated than drawing names and forwarding addresses, so as long as no one objects to my having their email address I'll stick my head above the parapet and organise it (I probably spend far more hours at my computer than most). I find PMs irritating when there are several, as I have go through them one by one to find the one I want.
If no one objects, I'll start another thread.
( I'm in, but could get my loved one to do the draw so there'll be no favouritism. :D )

phil.p":2fs7nzun said:
I don't see anyone else volunteering yet, and I can't see anything more complicated than drawing names and forwarding addresses, so as long as no one objects to my having their email address I'll stick my head above the parapet and organise it (I probably spend far more hours at my computer than most). I find PMs irritating when there are several, as I have go through them one by one to find the one I want.
( I'm in, but could get my loved one to do the draw so there'll be no favouritism. :D )

Good for you Phil. =D>

vUsCFAH.jpg

phil.p":1toqcyts said:

:D I don't care what everyone else says about you, Phil, I reckon you're all right. :D

Back