Is it possible that join worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm wanting to know is it possible to join 2 square edged worktops together side by side by it's longer length instead of it's shorter sides.

The reason I ask, I have kitchen base units left over and wanting to make an island in the centre of the kitchen. I have 4 of them, two doubles and 2 singles and was going to put them back to back. I already have enough squared worktops with the finished edges all around them. I have the kitchen jig and have used this just a handful of times over the years in my own house or other family members worktops.

Would a hair dryer help remove the edging on this sides that will be back to back.

Of course you can, it will probably look like 2 worktops joined back to back though. A sheet of plywood painted or with Formica glued on would be a cheap option without the join.

Would a hair dryer help remove the edging on this sides that will be back to back.

I’m not sure a hairdryer would do it, but an iron certainly will. Use a cloth to make sure you don’t get get glue on the iron!

How about making a feature of the join?

Like a thick hi gloss white streak?

Not sure how you would do it?

Cheers James

Or a central upstand if that could work? Might be a bit odd unless it is wide enough to serve a purpose.
Ive seen islands with split levels......

Of course you can, it will probably look like 2 worktops joined back to back though. A sheet of plywood painted or with Formica glued on would be a cheap option without the join.

I don't understand you?

I don't understand you?
You can straighten the two long edges and use biscuits, glue and worktop connectors to make a piece up to 1200 wide then edge the short edges as normal but if it's standard laminate you will be able to see the join. If it's the more expensive stuff with a 3-4mm top layer you might be able to join invisibly but it will depend on the pattern. If it's timber stave or plank then there's no problems.
A sheet of plywood or mdf is 1220 wide already and you can buy Formica or a cheaper unbranded in 1.5 m X 3 m sheets which you can glue down with cascamite and maybe pva. You'll need to think of a way to edge it though.

Latest posts

Back