Is it me or is this odd?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggler

Reaction score
i think someone recently has asked about powertool direct and if they are ok to buy from (i couldn't find the post hence a new one sorry). now is it me or is this odd.... i am looking to buy the record PT260 with D&M tools deal with the DX4000 extractor and also a Scheppach basato 3 bandsaw but i wanted to buy them from the same place to avoid paying extra postage.
Powertool direct http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/index.php here have the PT260 with the DX3000 for £699 inc the wheel kit, and also have the Basato 3 for £310 so i emailed them to see if they would match D&M tools price on the DX4000 deal..... no response... so having waited a week for a response, i thought i'd have another look to see if anyone else is doing it and i found this http://www.ptdirect.co.uk/index.html?lmd=38716.013287 :? .... erm... isn't that the same people?? they have 2 websites... not only that, they have different offers i.e. PT260 + DX4000 + wheel kit for only £689 and the basato 3 for £330 :roll:
call me mad but i just ordered exactly that from their "2nd" website so i end up saving about £30 on delivery cost :D
will let everyone know what comes of it tho, should hopefully get here before the week is out

Paul

(actually i emailed them twice.... or three times to see if i get an answer (hammer) ... no response :!: )

That is interesting Paul. The company mentioned on the contacts page is only 10 mins from where i live, so might have to pop in one day and ask them about that. Let us know how you get on.

Matt.

Hi Paul,
It was me that asked the question about them before, post is here for interest. While I ended up with what I wanted they were a bit slow getting it too me and I had to phone them, to get any sort of response. They answer the phone using a completly different company name too :eek: .

cd

It's funny really. Quite probably they are quite legit but just have strange views on customer service and selling and they have no intention of changing the way they work either!

My current gripe is that there seems to be a sudden upsurge in websites that don't go the whole hog and create a secure site as you or I *know* it. ..ie an https site. With all the promotion for online ecommerce security etc, we are told that sites bearing a padlock in the status bar and an https address are secure. Nothing wrong with that. They are secure. But then these jokers come along with a clever little frame saying 'this bit is secure and encrypted' and then plonk a wee padlock icon on it. Chances are that it is encrypted but I'm not going to run the risk and they do themselves and the whole web ecommerce industry a disservice.

The company, J&B, are just outside bolton town centre. They are a long running company and from what i can gather quite respectable, but i have no explanation to them having 2 different websites.

I have never shopped there, but i work in a similar place only a few miles away, so get to hear about them.

Matt.

ok, all arrived well.....
but first i had to ring them a week after i ordered as they had not sent me a confirmation and i was wondering if they even got the order! they answered the phone, and yes, they answered under someone else... not too sure who as i was expecting powertool direct and in fact i had to ask just incase i got the wrong number!
they said they had the order, and the record planer had just arrived that day (how convenient!) and said they'd ship it that day to arrive the next day.....
it did! funnily enough they kept thier word and i was one happy bloke as i set up my new toys! :D :D everythin was fine (there was a slight prob with the basato 3 blade guard rivets but i saw a guy at D&M tool show and he apologised and gave me a ton of info about how to use and set it up properly and suggested using tapping screws to replace the rivet in which i ended up usin a little nut and bolt and all is fine). they even chucked in the bandsaw stand and wheels that were apparently on offer only till october, and they didn't over charge me which is fantastic!!!!
so all in all i guess they are ok for the prices but maybe ringing them is a safer option.

Paul

Juggler":138ox6wo said:
i think someone recently has asked about powertool direct and if they are ok to buy from (i couldn't find the post hence a new one sorry). now is it me or is this odd.... i am looking to buy the record PT260 with D&M tools deal with the DX4000 extractor and also a Scheppach basato 3 bandsaw but i wanted to buy them from the same place to avoid paying extra postage.
Powertool direct http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/index.php here have the PT260 with the DX3000 for £699 inc the wheel kit, and also have the Basato 3 for £310 so i emailed them to see if they would match D&M tools price on the DX4000 deal..... no response... so having waited a week for a response, i thought i'd have another look to see if anyone else is doing it and i found this http://www.ptdirect.co.uk/index.html?lmd=38716.013287 :? .... erm... isn't that the same people?? they have 2 websites... not only that, they have different offers i.e. PT260 + DX4000 + wheel kit for only £689 and the basato 3 for £330 :roll:
call me mad but i just ordered exactly that from their "2nd" website so i end up saving about £30 on delivery cost :D
will let everyone know what comes of it tho, should hopefully get here before the week is out

Paul

(actually i emailed them twice.... or three times to see if i get an answer (hammer) ... no response :!: )
in Bury lancs we have B&Q warehouse, then up the road through bury we have a plain old B&Q, but the price difference is noticeably cheaper in the old place,

Joekid, I had the same experience in Glasgow, both "stores" actually, being on the same road.When I queried the price difference I was told "This is a shop, up the road is a warehouse".Needless to say the"shop"has since closed.
mack.

Welcome to the forum JoeKid, good to see another local here, i'm just down the road in sunny bolton.

Matt.

Sod the forum, were taking over the world :lol:

Spent a lot of time drinking round whitefield and prestwich from what i can remember. :eek:ccasion5:

Matt

Matt1245":2nr2zglu said:
The company, J&B, are just outside bolton town centre. They are a long running company and from what i can gather quite respectable, but i have no explanation to them having 2 different websites.

I have never shopped there, but i work in a similar place only a few miles away, so get to hear about them.

Matt.

I live about 10 minutes drive away from J&B in Bolton. I've bought a couple of things from there in the past. My dad has been going there for years and bought a lot of tools from there. Back in the days before online buying was so common, J&B was the only place near me to buy quality stuff (Makita, Elu,etc) until B&Q started stocking higher quality power tools.

They are a definately a legit business. I wasn't aware that website had anything to do with them and to have 2 different url's and different prices is just weird :?

Another Manchester resident here :D

I live on the outskirts of Radcliffe, right near the Ainsworth Arms (formerly 3 Arrows) if anyone knows it?

I live on the outskirts of Radcliffe, right near the Ainsworth Arms (formerly 3 Arrows) if anyone knows it?

Yup know it well, spent my first 27 years living radcliffe and now live in bolton, but just about 5 mins away from the ainsworth arms. Done some drinking in there too :D

Matt.

Back