Is it JUST me???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just a question to find out something about myself really. If you read my last two posts on Dave G's workshop break-in thread you'll see I got into a right old mix-up with me facts trying to reply to Roger Sinden's questions. Do any of you lot suffer 'gaps' in your memory banks???

I do find that I can remember silly little details about stupid things, but then forget the important things that really matter. I know we have the 'senior' moments mentioned in some threads but am I the only one to get to this point?

BTW this is the home knitting & trouser laundry hints & tips forum isn't it??? DOH!!!!!!!!! (Now there's a button on here somewhere that deletes the text....Now, what was it called?) I remember once a school-friend gave me a toffee from a blue paper bag, must go & visit him sometime....Hang on, where's the car???? :? :lol:

O.K. Hope we can have some fun with this thread. Funny stories, one-liners, you know the kind of thing. Although I do remember one time.........No I don't, who am I kidding?????? :lol:

Cheers, Charlie........DOH!!!!!!! Sliver. :roll: :roll:

Yes,of course it's just you :lol: (honest!)

My son is currently doing psychology at college (what used to be called "sixth form" but is now known as "year 12") and has just been doing about the human memory,and how unreliable it can be - which he seems to take great delight in telling me.. :( ;think he's hinting at something,but can't remember what :wink:

My personal one is putting things down,then forgetting where and having to re-trace my steps until I find it :oops: (This sometimes includes looking for the pencil that has been behind my ear all the time...)

Andrew

OH THANK GOD FOR THAT! I was worried that it was senile dementure setting in with me! I too have lapses just like that. I can remember exact details of things I did many years ago but forget something I needed to remember in the morning! I have also had to retrace my steps to find that 'thing' I had just been using a few moments ago. Sometimes when I am marking out the timber I have to stand back and just think about what I am doing as I seem to have lost the plot! I have a degree in English and sometimes have to write a word down a couple of time spelling it differently as I have forgotten how it is spelt! I start a sentence and then stop halfway through as the word eludes me! I guess it is just age creeping up on us guys. First it was my hair, then my eyes, followed by my joints now it looks like the brain is going west too! :shock: Now where did I put my Pipe and slippers???

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Andrew, that's not dementure, kids just do these things to make us THINK we're losing the plot so we'll sign everything over to them. :lol:
I'm afraid the pencil thing is your own doing. I just forget where I put my ears. :lol:

Mailee, looks like we described each other there. BTW I like your avatar, I wish I had one like that....I am SO jealous. :) I will have one exactly like it one day or my name isn't.........errr...had it a minute ago......just gimme a second.....no...s'gone. Sorry, what we on with here?? Hope the author of this thread doesn't mind us hi-jacking it...DOH!!! Sorry, got to go....nurse is coming round with the blue pills, I like the blue one cos they taste of yellow. :) Oh somebody get me a gun. :lol: :lol:

PowerTool":6gc063de said:
My personal one is putting things down,then forgetting where and having to re-trace my steps until I find it
Andrew
Not at all, Andrew. Everyone knows that tape measures and pencils are able to flit instantaneously between our dimension and a parallel universe :lol:

yup...walk into a room, now what did I come in here for? And I find myself getting defensive (aka trying to ignore) when I'm busy thinking about something and my wife asks me a question and I hate the interruption as I know damn well that after answering I'll forget where/what I was doing/going to do/looking for/designing/measuring (delete where appropriate)

And why do you think I use my full name rather than a pseudonym :cry:

get used to it , you aint seen nothing yet.
I was at my daughters over the week end to paper the stairs and landing, pasted the paper, got the scissors and brush, put the ladders in place, climbed the ladder, then had to go back down, I forgot the paper :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Alan (plonker)

searched for my van keys having checked my pockets twice I realised I had transferred them from one hand to the other so I could put my hand into the pocket

Started for me when I was 20-something. Always used to walk to the station but one day woke up late and so drove and parked at the station. Got home that evening and thought someone had nicked my car ! :oops:

Silver

I am glad you started this thread because I read your answer to "whats his name" and had to go out in the garden to clear my head :oops: :roll: :shock: thought I was cracking up.

Even worse my dog and best friend thought we were going for a walk.

Les

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What are you lot doing posting things on my thread?????
Get yer own thread!!!!!!
Do you think it's o.k. to go posting things on other people's threads then???

let me know what you think. You can borrow this thread if you like. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reading through your collective replies I think I'm the only sane one around here, which is worrying in itself :shock:
I think this topic could go on for years....Just keep adding 'bloopers' as they occur. That is of course if we remember where to post them. :)

Nurse, the screens!! :lol:

While we are on the subject - can anyone help me find my belt sander?

I know it is in my workshop somewhere, but I have been looking for it intermittently for 3 weeks, and still no joy!

I think it may have eloped with my random orbit sander, as I can't find that either!

Now, I can remember putting them away somewhere together, thinking "it makes sense to keep the two sanders together", but now I can't find either. (I can find the belts and discs no problem).

Trouble is, every time I go to look for them, I get distracted and end up doing something else (eg sharpening, cleaning, re-arranging, clearing out junk etc), and forget all about the sanders until I happen to bump into the object that needs sanding, when the whole process starts again!

Confused - who me???? :oops:

Gary

Taffy Turner":2bapfh0f said:
Now, I can remember putting them away somewhere together, thinking "it makes sense to keep the two sanders together", but now I can't find either. (I can find the belts and discs no problem).

Don't worry, Gary, by the time you find the sanders you'll have mislaid the belts and discs :lol: :lol:

Paul

Taffy,
I know where your belt sander is. It's with my allen keys :lol:

I suffer from the the 3 toolbox problem. I set in the workshop, another in garage & then a few in the house as well. Wherever I am whatever I want is somewhere else.

As for the allen keys they are in a Golden Virginia backy tin with "Allen Keys" written all over it. Been missing for weeks now, I even had to go and buy some more which is normally the trigger for missing items to magically appear.
Or course now I have 3 children old enough to get inquisitive if I leave things around I am inclined to think that perhaps they've been "tidying up" :lol:

Of course if something is "lost" it can only be somewhere you have not looked :wink:

Andy

Thing to do guys, in any event like this is to phone Steve Wright on R2 and ask him where you've put the sander, pencil or workshop, as he knows just about everything about anything. :roll: Even better, do it on the 'ask Elvis' slot for a even better response.
At least when I lose the fobile moan I can dial its number on the land line and it will tell me where its hidden itself, unless its switched itself off :-k :-s -Rob

Taffy Turner":2wih4efq said:
While we are on the subject - can anyone help me find my belt sander?

I know it is in my workshop somewhere, but I have been looking for it intermittently for 3 weeks, and still no joy!
Isn't that why manufacturers finish them in bright colours to start with? :roll: Pity my mobile phone isn;t luminous pink, then. :oops:

Scrit

dedee, sounds to me like a case of the "woodshop elves"...
My dad used to complain all the time about missing things and constantly blamed them....myself and my brothers always said it was because he was losing his memory.
But now i find myself blaming those very same elves for my tools disappearing, and now my young son has noticed I have multiples of all those small kinda tools, allen keys, at least 7 tapes measures, pin hammers scewdrivers etc, etc.....
Kinda wonder if im just losing tools, or losing the plot completely.... :D

dedee":1mtf0q5a said:
It's with my allen keys . . . .they are in a Golden Virginia backy tin with "Allen Keys" written all over it.

I think you will find that they are my allen keys - I lost that tin ages ago :?
Going off subject a bit, I've always thought that if someone would sell backy tins without the backy they would make a fortune as they are definately the best thing for storing little odds and end - until you mislay them that is. You don't have my taps and dies too by any chance?

Well, I know where the belt sander and allen keys aren't................................,on top of my head with my glasses,least that's were they usually are when I can't find them.

Remember the first time my dad swore, I was helping him do some DIY and he said,"where's the pencil". "Behind your ear" says I, to which he replied, "don't **** about which ear?"

Back