Is Isopropyl alcohol acid free?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, not sure where to put this one, but i guess as people here may have used this stuff as a cleaner or similar, i may get some answers.....

I use a lot of alcohol blending soloution for arts and crafts, primarily with alcohol inks. Also as a cleaner.

I currently get the blending soloution which is bottled by a well known crafter, however it's £5 for 57ml. I get through a lot so as you can imagine it's pricey.

I heard about Isopropyl alcohol, and have just been talking to an artist that says IPA is just as good, and a damn site cheaper. He sais half the time it's the same soloution, bottled for different companies with differnt prices. So i got some, a litre for a tenner at my local hardware shop. Bargain!

It appears to blend the inks well, as i wanted it to do, and will pay for itself even if i just use it as a cleaner, however with the crafts that i do i need to know if this is acid free or not. If not, over time it can affect the look of your work or deteriorate it somewhat.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Calv.

You could try and get hold of some pH indicator paper or even a soil acidity test kit from a garden centre. It wouldn't be particularly accurate but all you need to know is if the pH is acid, neutral or alkaline.

Calv,

Sometimes a pH value (or perhaps a range) is quoted in either the specification or the safety data sheet if you can obtain one from the suppliers (they ought to be able to provide you with at least a safety data sheet for IPA). That doesn't necessarially mean that it will actually contain the information though (most probably don't), but it could be down to residual acidity from whatever process they use to manufacture it, rather than from the IPA itself, if you see what I mean :?

Cheers,

Dod

Back