Is GMC Publications still operating?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
For a while longer at least I'm the librarian of the Saskatchewan Woodworkers Guild. Our subscription to Woodturning has expired and I have tried to call GMC at the number on the renewal notice, 44 0 1273 488005, but get no answer or a recording stating there is no number in service. Same goes for the general phone number. About 3 or 4 days ago I used their Contact section on the website and sent a message asking them about how to renew, continuing from when it lapsed and have not heard back.

Does anyone know if they are still in business and if so what is the correct phone number for subscriptions or the email address?

Thanks
Pete

Thanks. I have been to that page but there isn't any way to get it to subscribe from where it left off and adding back issues costs more plus there is the extra to mail each issue. I want to communicate with a live person or at least their fingers hence the question.

Pete

"I want to communicate with a live person or at least their fingers"

You know what "corpsing" is in theatrical terms? A seemingly innocuous phrase that when used, reduces a performer/presenter to helpless giggles? Sorry Inspector, but my unhealthily lewd mind just did that on reading your above phrasing.... :-"

Sam, brahahahahaha!

I rang 01273488005 this evening (after office hours) and got nowhere, just a message to ring back.
However, I then rang 01273477374 (general enquiries) and got a recorded message for the GMC company.
I trust you left out the 0 if you are ringing from Saskatoon?
You should be able to contact them on Monday morning
David

Well that might explain it. I left the (0) in as I assumed it was supposed to be there. I'll call them Monday and see how I get on.
Much appreciated
Pete

To be completely accurate, the UK from another country needs a prefix of 0044
or, if you have it on your phone, a +44.
This gets you into the UK system.
Then you have to drop the first 0 from the National number.

From here I have to put 011 to get long distance international and then the country code which is 44 in this case. I don't make a lot of foreign calls so haven't run into the drop the 0 part before. I'll get done somehow. :roll: :wink:

Pete

So you have to dial America international exchange first. and then direct it to the UK?

Next time, try dropping the 011 and just dial +44 and then the Uk code. see what happens.

Don't have a "+" on our phones. Just the number/letter keys and a * key and a # key. We don't do math on our phones. :lol: I don't know about the 'merican international exchange stuff. They, being a province of Canada in waiting, have the same system as we do. :wink: If I dial 44 I get a message telling me it is a number to which long distance is required or can't be completed as dialled. Can't argue with a recording. #-o

Pete

If you have an Instagram account, search for 'Low Fat Roubo'. That will be Derek Jones who's the editor of F&C; easy peasy then to send him a message - Rob

If you dont have the plus sign, use 0044.
I live in Cyprus (international code 00357) and have used 0044 to call the UK from many places in the world, even from my mobile.

"There is a problem completing the number as dialled. Please check the number and dial again." That's what I got when dialling 0044. I'll try the 011 44 etc in the morning. I don't want to do it now because I don't want to pay the long distance charges just to listen to a recording telling the hours to call. :wink:

Pete

woodbloke66":2fo0d85r said:
If you have an Instagram account, search for 'Low Fat Roubo'. That will be Derek Jones who's the editor of F&C; easy peasy then to send him a message - Rob

Inspector":2fo0d85r said:
Not an Instagram user but if all else fails I’ll join and try that.

No need to have an Instagram Account.
http://lowfatroubo.co.uk/

(ED: OOPS. Didn't see page 2!)

@sunnybob and for inspector:

Although sunnybob is mainly correct, it is not true that you dial "00" from EVERY country to access the international STD system - sunnybob's right in many cases but that does not work in all countries - for example, when I lived in Singapore I had to dial "015" to access International STD.

Inspector, I don't know what the International STD code is from Saskatoon, but I'm sure you know what it is, and AFAIK, that NEVER changes as long as you stay calling from within that country (note please, we're NOT talking about states or counties or provinces here, but WHOLE COUNTRIES).

So for example, my (made up) phone number at home in Switzerland is 061 113 0100. That's what I'd dial if I was calling home from outside my home but still within Switzerland. But if I was calling home from outside of Switzerland, (lets say from UK) than I'd dial 00 41 61 113 0100 - note that the first "0" has been DROPPED from the above, but ADDED to the above number, at the front, has been the "00" followed immediately by the "41".

The above "00" is what gets me into the International STD system in UK (and as said, in many other - but NOT all - countries), and the "41" is ALWAYS the international dialling code for Switzerland - just as "44" is ALWAYS the code for all the UK (but NOT for Southern Ireland - "Eire" - please note).

AFAIK (well the only country I can think of off hand) where you do NOT drop that first "0" off a number when calling them internationally is for any number in Italy. Just in case you wanted to know!

Now sunnybob's "+": You may not have a "+" sign on your phone inspector, but just as sunnybob says, many modern telephones (but again NOT all) will automatically use a "+" instead of whatever the International STD code is in the country where you as are. The "+" was added as an internationally-agreed symbol just because, as above, although it's very very common these days, it is NOT always the case in all countries that the International STD access code is "00". From the USA for example it's "010", and I already gave the example of Singapore above.

Sorry if all the above is confusing but I've spent a large part of my working life making and receiving phone and fax calls to and from all sorts of weird and wonderful places in the world! (As an aside, back in the days before digital key pads on phone hand sets - remember the old round and round dials? - the first time I went to New Zealand in the 1970s I was absolutely astounded - not to say very confused - to find that all NZ phone dials had ALL the numbers reversed except for the "0" - i.e. "1" was where "9" would be on a "normal" UK dial phone - and so on and so on, right round the dial)!

Anyway, back to your query, what you need to dial from Saskatoon to get to your contact in UK is the following:

"XX" (that's whatever your International STD access code is) then followed by "44", then followed by the complete number, but MINUS the first zero of the phone number that they publish.

HTH

Typing that much one fingered would kill me. :wink:

I dialed 011-44-1273-4488005 to successfully get the magazine. 011 gets me international long distance and 44 is the country code, then the rest of the number.

Our phones don't have a + symbol on the keypad. My cell doesn't either but maybe would if I was in a country that used them. Don't know because I ain't bin dere yet. And I'm too cheap to pay for roaming so the phone gets turned off. :)

We don't have the (0) in any of our numbers here or in the US. That's what threw me. Just a 3 digit area code followed by the number. So mine would be 306-***-****. If I want to call long distance outside my local area to the rest of Canada and the US dialling 1-***-***-**** does it.

Pete

Glad it all worked in the end anyway Pete.

I can't remember ever calling the US from Canada (or vice-versa) but have often called FROM the US to other countries and clearly remember using "010". Anyway, as said, glad it worked OK.

I presume you got a new sub for your club/society?

Edit for a P.S: I use two fingers to type actually (VERY advanced me!) and can get up quite a speed using them both! Sorry if my last was long but I thought it may be useful to you know the whole picture about international dialling in case you ever need to do it again. Many people make the same mistake as sunnybob and think that "00" is always the international access code but it isn't always, even though it usually is. :D

Back