IS BUYING A ELEC BEK SECOND HAND A GOOD IDEA ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAGWELL

Reaction score
I have the chance of acquiring a electra bekam dimension saw with all kit whats it worth and is there anything better... for simular money ?

having found out more detais its offered at £800.00 quid is this good its a electra beckum pkf 255 v8 with all the kit....my question again is it worth it and or are there better saws for your money????

thanxs bag

Hi Bagwell

Not enough information supplied for a proper answer, I fear ... :(

Does "with all kit" mean including the scriber blade, sliding table, extensions and so on? How old is it? General condiiton? How much use has it had? What are you going to use it for?

Whether or not it's a 'good deal' and whether you might be better off with something else could depend on all of the above - let us know and we'll try to help. :)

eeyore

thanx eeyore...

All the kit is the scriber blade, sliding table, extensions and so on.
2yrs old ish
good condition
in answer you how much use..... how do i bellive the seller ????
im wanting to use it for general use....... sizing table tops..... spiral stair treads and so on... cabinet making..
I am a metalworker...dont hang me yet........... but i want to incorperate wood in to my furniture.... and iron work...such as tables chairs stair treads.. free standing kitchen cabinets...and anything else i think would sell so i want the saw to be flexible enough to meet my requirements
having to kit out my workshop i have been adviced
to get a saw,planer thicknesser..dust extraction...all ready got a band saw
and general hand tools biscuiter,router,sander,nailer ect....

ID LOVE IT IF SOMEONE COULD GIVE THIS OLD METAL BASHER SOME GOOD ADVICE ON "THE WORKSHOP BAGS BUILDING "

THANXS BAG

Bagwell

Okay, then. Right. Based on the info supplied ...

The Elektra Beckum PKF255 V8 you describe is a current production model available with "all the trimmings" from Rutlands among others at £1589.95 - at which price they throw in an EB SPA1100 dust extractor, normal price £189.95.

The Scheppach 2500 is widely regarded as about the best buy in this price range, but as a neutral (I don't have either, but I looked at them both before I decided to spend more readies for cast iron tables) I have to say that I think the EB would be a good buy at the price you've quoted. It's a reputable German manufacturer, now owned by Metabo, with a decent distribution, service and parts setup in the UK (unlike the French Kity, the other 'name in the frame'). It's well capable of the sort of use you intend.

You don't say whether you've seen it yet - if not, it's worth a mention that you'll need a bit of space for it, it's a machine with a BIG footprint.

As to the rest of your kit - if possible, I would try to afford separate jointer(planer) and thicknesser machines. Converting from one to another can be a pain unless you spend big bucks on an 'industrial-strength' planer/thicknesser. Dust extraction is even more important with these machines.

You didn't say what your bandsaw is - if it's a Basato don't tell Jester, she'll seek you out and use her womanly wiles, DFPs (or a dead-blow hammer, whichever is more likely to work) to part you from the Bandsaw of her Dreams.

Hope this helps.

If you need more, just holler.

eeyore

Thanx eeyour

You woodies seem ok :D
having a look at it very soon :shock:
then maybe i will need some advice on where to put a big foot print in small shoe...... (hammer)

Bagwell

You're welcome.

The footprint thing reminds me... a word to the wise :wink:

To avoid putting your foot in it, followed by muffled titters and a possible earbashing, when in the presence of woodies (particularly the variety referred to as 'neanderthals'), you should never refer to biscuit jointers, routers etc. as 'hand tools'. Hand tools are planes, spokeshaves, chisels, mallets and such. Those other gadgets (which most of us use, but not everyone owns up to) are 'portable power tools'. :D

regards

eeyore

Bags - can I call you Bags?

I forgot - nailing guns are the spawn of the devil :twisted: and should not be mentioned at all in polite company ...

eeyore

surely every tool has its correct use, and for things such as featherboarding a fence panel or installing noggins in a stud wall a nail gun is both fast and effective at its job!

surely a brad gun is useful for installing trimm and stuff when its going to be painted? (ie not stained so you can see the brads).

and finally staple guns also have a use... but can`t think of one off hand.

i.e
everyone has thier own way of doing things, maybe if you like (and enjoy) the end result of what you`ve made, the tools you used are irrelavent??? *grinz*

Steven

I take your point - in the building industry I'm sure they can save time and effort, but in building furniture to be proud of? ... I think not :)

The examples you quote I would class as DIY, not as activities normally carried out in a "ukworkshop" ... Norm has a lot to answer for

eeyore
off to lie down in a darkened room after trying to imagine painting furniture

Hey, did someone mention a Basato...? Where? Where?

:lol:

Welcome, metalhead :D Be not afraid; we woodies don't bite, unless provoked :wink:

Cheers, Jester

Hey Bagwell, did you get this Elektra Beckum PK 255 V8, if so how are you getting on with it?

Eeyore, I am looking at getting this machine, and as you mentioned, I have one concern about the size of the machine. Have you got it, any advise on where to place it in a workshop (like a specific side of the machine can be close to a wall but not the other etc...).

I have the EB PKF255, the same machine as the one under discussion, but without the scoring blade. I mostly cut hardwoods and birch ply, and with a decent 72 tooth blade I don't get enough breakout to make a scoring blade worth the extra. Anyway, the machine is excellent and if it got stolen today I would buy another as soon as the insurance money came through. It's not easy to adjust and I still haven't got it exactly how I want it, but it's accuracy is excellent
John

Back