Is anyone using cnc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.?? I am building a clock. pic_1v.jpgpic_6.jpg

Yes.?? I am building a clock.
I would love to hear more on your experiences Don. I want to move in that direction myself with clock making. My current effort is nearing completion and the design is fully detailed on CAD. I've had a request for another one of the same design so I've got a good excuse for taking the plunge.
Brian

I started designing 2 1/2 D models from images with the idea of applying to furniture, but got sidetracked into making plaques with them on to put around the house, I found there are some odd lovely shapes in trees and this is where I am at the moment.
My wife is totally blind and the shapes of the plaques and the carvings give her an insight of what they look like.

Phill

dead_tree_standing_1.jpg dead_tree.jpg.jpg dead_tree_1.jpg dead_wood_2.jpg.jpg

Yes; though I don't particular "enjoy" using it. These days I'd much rather be making sawdust (well, plane shavings) by hand. Too much noise and dust to be honest; plus it's (yet more) time spent on a computer.

Useful tools for the right job though.

Yes.?? I am building a clock.
So am I 😄 not as far ahead as you though Don...
Reuleaux Clock + Threaded Box.png

Well, it's started - all the design work is done in both SketchUp and CorelDRAW! along with many of the G-Code files using CamBam. Today I actually started to machine some of the blanks ready to put in my Denford Router (which I bought at the end of June) so I hope that before the week-end, I'll have half-a-dozen of the 150ish components made.

The little 'box' in the image is the very first thing I made using CNC - it's a simple octagonal lump of Iroko with an 80mm dia x 3mm pitch thread - hand written G-Code as an exercise to learn how G-Code works. I had to make the thread-milling cutter first though. Oh, tell a lie - the first thing I did was to draw a circle having made a spring loaded Pencil Holder- just to see that the machine did what I was expecting, but the box is the first 'proper' job.

I have a hobby one. Workbee 1500x1000. I use it primarily to cut repeatable curved shapes, I do the odd bit of engraving and have just started V-carve inlays. I'm in the process of making a curved bath-tray - the curvey bits being cut on Benny, my Workbee. I use vectric Aspire and have bizarrely enjoyed learning how to use the software (not normally my idea of fun).

Sorry I am a bit late getting back here. I have a Stepcraft 420 V1 that i use with VCarve desktop. The clock is my first and is a Brian Law design. I have not yet managed to run the thing for more than a couple of minutes so gave up in disgust. There is no shortage of books/designs waiting to be cut but I thought it would be easier than this. I find it quite good working with the software but the CNC is a bit noisy and really needs a space of its own. I can maybe get space in the 'Mens Shed' for it when the lockdown rules are eased.

I have accumulated most of the parts to build my own CNC router. I have been finalising the design for a couple of years now! When lockdown hit I thought I'd have the perfect opportunity to finally get around to building it... guess how that worked out! :)

Hopefully, over the winter I'll be able to get it constructed and operational. It should be capabale of cutting around 900x900mm and it'll be pretty sturdy so I should be able cut a range of materials with it at reasonable speeds. I'm really looking forward to get it running but I'm slightly concerned about how much more time I'll be spending at the computer. Having spent a lifetime working in IT I'm trying to give them up.

I have accumulated most of the parts to build my own CNC router. I have been finalising the design for a couple of years now! When lockdown hit I thought I'd have the perfect opportunity to finally get around to building it... guess how that worked out! :)

Hopefully, over the winter I'll be able to get it constructed and operational. It should be capabale of cutting around 900x900mm and it'll be pretty sturdy so I should be able cut a range of materials with it at reasonable speeds. I'm really looking forward to get it running but I'm slightly concerned about how much more time I'll be spending at the computer. Having spent a lifetime working in IT I'm trying to give them up.
Nice. Steppers? Servos? What control board and software?

So am I 😄 not as far ahead as you though Don...View attachment 91443

Well, it's started - all the design work is done in both SketchUp and CorelDRAW! along with many of the G-Code files using CamBam. Today I actually started to machine some of the blanks ready to put in my Denford Router (which I bought at the end of June) so I hope that before the week-end, I'll have half-a-dozen of the 150ish components made.

The little 'box' in the image is the very first thing I made using CNC - it's a simple octagonal lump of Iroko with an 80mm dia x 3mm pitch thread - hand written G-Code as an exercise to learn how G-Code works. I had to make the thread-milling cutter first though. Oh, tell a lie - the first thing I did was to draw a circle having made a spring loaded Pencil Holder- just to see that the machine did what I was expecting, but the box is the first 'proper' job.
Very good indeed. Will you give a WIP report on this as it is very interesting design and I would like to try it if it is possible.
take care
Don W

Very good indeed. Will you give a WIP report on this as it is very interesting design and I would like to try it if it is possible. take care Don W
Thanks Don, A WIP had crossed my mind but currently I'm fighting with CamBam & Mach3 on the very first component :( Mach3 keeps telling me that the X or Y minimum limits are exceeded. If I get the [Latch] machined tomorrow I'll see if I can at least photograph it ready for a WIP.

The technical drawings currently amount to 36 pages some of which are to deal with selected parts which will be done on the CNC Router. You'll see from my Avatar that I'm fascinated by the Reuleaux Polygons or more particularly the Pentagon which I've used for the Dial as well as the hand counterbalances.

What materials are you using to construct this ??. The face looks like it could be 5 pieces of wood ?
Don W
Yes Don , it is in 5 pieces (well, plus the minute dots and hour batons) - as are the main front & back frames. They will be Walnut whilst most of the rest will be Beech, Ash or Maple. The Rachet & Pawls will be African Leadwood as will the 'Latch' tooth.

The spindles will be Stainless Steel and run in either Deep Groove Ball or Needle Roller bearings.

If you use SketchUp, I could send you the complete file for a proper perusal.

I have a copy of Sketchup somewhere, I have not used it for a while. When I became interested in clocks it was because I had just purchased the Stepcraft 420 V1 CNC machine and thought it would be a good idea to try some more accurate cutting of 1/4" ply. The machine is a joy to use and I have completed 2 or 3 projects with it. My biggest failing was the clock by Brian Law, this quite disheartened me and I have let it slide since.
I am sure I could break out the Sketchup, maybe have to purchase it though as it has been a while. I use the Stepcraft with UCCNC and VCarve desktop and it is a fairly good package.
take care
Don W
PS I have PM'd you my email address
PPS I have attached a photo. of the plaque I made for the bowling green. It turned out quite well.

Attachments

• rose's plaque.jpg
    rose's plaque.jpg
    856.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back