Is a Ferm FKZ-250 any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just wondering if anyone here has got or has seen/used this mitre saw at all?

Im trying to cut some accurate mitres for a simple frame but so far ive found nothing that can cut them to a proper 45degree angle so I was looking at these machines, for £50 or whatever it seems good value & while I dont need the best of everything as I cant afford a top quality make on every piece of my equipment as I would need to be rich, I just want something that can do the job nicely, im very happy indeed with my Ferm biscuit jointer & wondered what this Ferm was like.

The other one I was thinking of was this one for £120 with a laser sight:
http://www.shopv.co.uk/productfinder/M2 ... LASER.html

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Nick.

Norm fan
Not sure about the ferm one but i used a B & Q one for quite a few years,
IT took a bit of adjusting to get it to cut at 45 or 90 and i fitted a new blade (i recomend you do that with any budget saw) but it cuts fine and i have got the bigger sliding saw now with a 80mm x 300mm cut :D .
Mick

I've just seen a TV ad from B&Q for a compound mitre saw for £26 :shock: (Performance Power range I think)
I dont know if its any good though! :?

Peter

If you are not doing lots and lots of cuts and the timber you are cutting is not too large, it might be more worthwhile to buy a traditional hand box mitre saw.

Rutlands sell a couple that I have used before and they were very accurate (the name escapes me and I am too lazy to go and look it up just now, sorry :roll: )

For your £50 you will get more accuracy with these than you will with a powered beasty, but I know, they are just not as exciting :)

NormFan, I got over my bout of laziness and looked up the saw in Rutlands. It is made by NOBEX and is accurate to 0.08degress, which isn't too bad all in all.

I had one of them but i could not find a way of pluging it in. :lol:
Actualy i still have one and still use it for very fine work (if i need to)
Mick

0.08 degrees? that sounds good enough to me, I think I will give it a try then.

Thx everyone :)

Be careful NormFan, buying tools without a plug!! Just make sure it doesn't become a bad habit :)

Seriously, in my experience they are excellent saws and well worth buying.

Back