Is a cheap grinder a false economy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weasel Howlett

Established Member
Reaction score
For my first lathe setup im going to need a grinder to sharpen my tools. Im not going to be doing hours of work a day just a few evenings a week.

What grinder is best on a budget? As far as i can make out i need to get one with a lighter grit wheel so i dont just grind my tools away to nothing.

Ive seen the AWBGDL pretty cheaply.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awbgdl-wide-stone-grinder-prod789070/

Is this a good option or should i go for somthing else?? Maybe somthing with a whetstone??? Im new to grinders so realy have no clue.

All advise gladly recieved.

Not sure if it bang same but that looks like the one I have. Purchased from axminster about 6-7 years ago and the do change models etc but it was in the same price bracket. Mine is still going strong but does take a while to stop [do bench grinders fall into the 10 sec rule]. Stops in about 12 mins not sec :lol:

I think the bottom line is how much use it will get.

That grinder looks good to me 8) Mine is far cheaper looking than that!!! You can spend big bucks on sharpening but its not a necessity. Some form of grinding jig would be massively helpful to you also, I've got the Axminster 'Storme' one its relatively cheap and does the job.

As a new starter, there is nothing wrong with a basic dry grinder, as long as it runs smoothly the quality of the white oxide 80/100 grit wheel is of more relevance.
I'm still using grinders using very low budget motors, fitted with both original white wheels and different grade after market wheels.

Although a wet grinder will give a finer cutting edge they will come with the penalty of rapid wear shaping and sharpening HSS turning tools, more so for a new turner.

andyoaks":35vqhx5z said:
...... Mine is still going strong but does take a while to stop [do bench grinders fall into the 10 sec rule]. Stops in about 12 mins not sec ...
Nothing wrong with that at all, shows good balance and free running bearings.

I have bought one of those for school, it works well. I have fixed to a piece of kitchen worktop so I can move it about and G clamp down.
The light is a total waste of time :D

Whatever grinder you settle for ,buy a decent wheel with it.
Again an O'Donnell wheel IMO would do the job.

REgards Boysie

being a noob myself, I'm using my little cheapo Silverline grinder with a silicon carbide wheel, and a hand knitted jig for sharpening. No complaints, other than the fact the motor in the grinder is what I'd expect for the price. Light strokes though, and it does for me.

Noob here too, with exactly the same quandary about what grinder to buy.

@Tazmanian, I saw some reviews for that grinder which basically said the motor is too weak, and the wheel stops under pressure. Is that true?

Yes, it is. Like all tools, you get what you pay for. I have had the grinder for quite a while before I got my lathe, so know how much pressure to put on it. The carborundum wheels you get with it are fairly rubbish too. All I can say is buy the best you can afford. I will replace my grinder at some point, but at the moment I can work with its limitations while I collect other things I feel are more important.

If you are in the hobby for the long haul , buy the best you can afford

If its for turning tools slow speed is better ( 1450 rpm ) as it takes longer to overheat the cutting edge when sharpening

Small cheap grinder usually have a 250w motor ( Not good )

Back