Is 8 x 1 tgv larch cladding too wide ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedjmunky

Reaction score
Have just got some 6 and 8 inch tgv larch boards for vertical cladding to go on my wood frame extension, research suggests that 8 inch is too wide and that the tongues may pop out in the summer, its west facing with a 1 metre overhang , should I get them ripped in half and regrooved (I like the different widths ) or loose 2 inches off 14 x 3.6 metre boards , Either way I'll have to pay for more boards and machining . your thoughts please.

So long as it's fixed well I would've thought you'd get away with 8", the larch I've seen lately on the lorries has been rather excellent, to be honest, very fine grain and very straight and I reckon they'd be pretty stable. Of course, that's only from what I've seen and what you have may be of lesser quality.

My personal preference if I had to cut them down would be same width boards, but there's no reason you couldn't do mismatched if that's what you prefer.

Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply, I got the 8 inch recut to 4, (luckily I over ordered) and they look great, didn't pop out this summer,used the leftovers for window surrounds, nearly finished the East side which is local waney edge Lelandii ! Will post some photos when I work out how to.

Back