Irwin XP Heavy Duty Bar Clamp - £12.50 (Back in stock)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that anything that has 'Heavy Duty' in the name invariably isn't.

You'd struggle to find those for less than £25 each - they are very good.

Hi all

Looking at the picture it shows small pads and the locking mechanism is a slide, I have some of these from a long time back, the ones I have purchased more recently have longer pads and a rotary locking mechanism so whats the reason. They are both good and clamp with reasonable pressure but not as much as the bessey screw clamps.

Hi all

Looking at the picture it shows small pads and the locking mechanism is a slide, I have some of these from a long time back, the ones I have purchased more recently have longer pads and a rotary locking mechanism so whats the reason. They are both good and clamp with reasonable pressure but not as much as the bessey screw clamps.
The 18" variants at Wickes seem to have the swivel mechanism on the pads and they look more like the old version (also still in stock). I have a fair few of these and concur with the other comments on this thread, these are decent clamps and well worth the money. The XP versions with the alloy sides are a different beast to the usual bar clamps.

A comment in the review section actually says " dont be put off by the picture which is incorrect ! these are the latest and strongest irwin clamps "

I think a screw clamp will always provide more force than a ratchet, but 250kg of pressure for £12.50 - Whats not to like? :)

@beech1948
I had the 'notify me when back in stock' checked, but on a whim I checked the page myself this morning and saw them in stock, so I ordered some then posted here.

About 4pm Wickes sent out their notification emails, and the stock they had must have just flown off the shelves.

I ordered these clamps from wickes two or three months ago, what I got should have had this picture Irwin Quick-Grip Heavy-Duty Bar Clamp 300mm / 12" , the only difference I can see is that there is a little slidable foot which sits between the two pads of the clamp, meaning you can hang the handle of the clamp off the workbench whilst the workpiece is held up by the other end of the clamp and the movable foot. I got them because I could see it was a great price, and was staggered by the size of the things when they came, these are monsters.

They'll probably be out of stock for several weeks, if not months.

Another member here posted them up a while back, when I visited the page they were out of stock - which is when I first asked to be notified.

Much heftier than I expected - pictured below one of their light weight ones.

20201017_111625.jpg

the only slight issue I have with them is sometimes they can be a bit fiddley to swap into the spreader mode and back

Probably their stock went so quickly it prompted someone to take a second look at the price.

I did think someone thought these were the light weight ones and priced accordingly, but you can get a two-pack of those 300mm clamps for £10. Even the 300mm medium duty are £18 each at Toolstation

Pity, I was going to pick up a couple more, silly not to at the price, odd that the 12.50 wasn't advertised as a promotion (that I saw at least), great deal while it lasted

Latest posts

Back