Irwin speed clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at this

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/scan/se=7145/sf=cat

The difference has to be the length of the clamp bits (rather than the bar), i.e. the depth of grip.

I've got a couple of Record ones which look similar but not identical, bought on some special offer somewhere. They are OK, but way overpriced at their usual prices.

You may want to take a look at the Dakota ones that Rutlands do, I have got these and ones made by City Tool , They are both copies of Jorgensen clamps but work very well, the ratchet allows for one handed tightening for those frantic moments during a big glue up :D City ones cost me £1.93 for 12" long :D :D

Jason

jasonB":354j85e3 said:
City ones cost me £1.93 for 12" long :D :D
Those look fantastic value, Jason 8) - do you have a contact number/web address for City tool?

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, I've a load of these. Just ordinary F clamps with clutch plates. Picked them up from the "bargain" stalls at WW shows a few years back. Think they are branded (or at least have a sticker on them - all from the same factory on PRC) AmTech. Handy enough and cheap.

Noel

Thanks, Noel - they look ideal for clamping up when laminating as per Jason's very nice WIP photo.

Neil

I'll see if I can find a local source for you.

Noel

Noel / Neil,

There is an Am-Tech stockist on the main street in Wexford - not sure if that's any use to you, but it's the only place I remember seeing Am-Tech stocken in Ireland.

Les

Thanks, Noely

Thanks, Les - I'm not down that way too often, but I guess I could order them by post if I don't find a local source. You don't happen to remember the name of the stockist, do you?

Cheers,
Neil

Sorry Neil, don't have the name of the top of my head, but I'll be in wexford again first week in April so will check then - could even do the "mail-order" bit for you if they won't!

Les

Sorry, that should have been £2.93 each for the 12". I had to order them from my local tool/hardware shop that keep some City products, also got them in the larger lengths from various WW shows. Just have a look around your local tool shops and see if they stock City and ask to see the catalogue as I could not find a web site for them. The Dakota ones are a bit better quality but not much in it

Jason

Thanks, guys - Jason, I thought that price sounded too good to be true, although £2.93 doesn't sound bad either!

Les, thanks for the offer - I'll have a look in Galway first as I suspect that the postage wouldn't exactly be cheap!

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,
I have seen AmTech products stocked in a store here in Dublin, some time ago. I don't recall which store, but it was possibly Lenehans on Capel street (although their website, www.lenehans.ie, doesn't seem to list any AmTech products, so I may have seen them elsewhere, possibly even McQuillans on Capel Street). As far as I can remember, the only ones stocked were the AmTech copies of the QuickGrip clamps, rather than the more robust looking ones in Jason's photos.

If I spot them again, I'll let you know.

Frank, that's why there's 2 quid a pop BUT they actually work and work quite well. Agree with you most of their other stuff is skip quality.

Noel

Latest posts

Back