Irwin Record SP4 Smoothing Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone rate the Irwin Record SP4 Smoothing Plane or what do people think of this plane as i am thinking of replacing my stanley 'handyman' plane.

Cheers,
Derek.

Hi Derek

I bought one about 5 or 6 years ago and rated it miles above the Stanley. I fettled it loads and thought it was the best plane I had used; until I got to try a Lie Nielsen :shock:

With a bit of work on the sole and a better blade, it'll work absoutely brilliantly.

of course, you could save yourself a few quid and pm me an offer for mine :wink: (mine ahs standard blade in it now)

Hmph - what a question!

I have an SP 4 - was my 1st plane, still got it, still use it. So, what do you need to know about it?

1) it's a modern record, so the casting's not too hot - may not be flat soled, sides may not be 90 degree to sole.
2) the iron's worth replacing
3) the SP mark means it's the cheap end of the Record range
4) the handles are nasty plastic, but they can be replaced easily
5) the frog has no bailey or bedrock style adjustment...record say the frog isn't adjustable.

So, all the above sound bad, but, it's only 25-30 quid, it works, and contrary to record advice, you can adjust the frog, albeit slightly. Jeff Gorman reckons he can fettle an SP4 into a decent smoother, and I would agree with him - mine is still a good plane, though it's been supplanted by a vintage stanley 4 1/2, bought for 18 notes from a car boot - even better value.

i can't justify the cost of a nielson or a clifton plane as i only use them for general diy at the moment i.e for hanging doors etc. i was also looking at the stanley bailey range on ebay what do you guys think?

cheers,
Derek.

Modern Records are considered better than modern Stanley, ok? BUT, if you can get a modern Stanley #4 for a fiver, then it's better value for what you want than 25-30 notes for a new SP4. Don't know how much a new SP4 would go for on ebay.

If you can get a vintage (1960s or preferably earlier) Stanley Bailey for less than the SP4, then go for the stanley!

Derek

My first plane was a modern Stanley #5 Bailey. On the whole, I would rate my Record #4 as slightly better quality but I would rate both of them as leagues above the Handyman

All you really need to do when you have bought either a Record or Satnley Bailey is flatten the sole on some wet and dry paper glued to 19mm MDF or float glass, sharpen the blade on a decent stone and hone the edge of the chip breaker so that it sits tightly against the blade near the plane's mouth

The plastic handles will not make a jot of differnece to the plane's operation

With the above work carried out ( a couple of hours max.) you will have a fine plane that will probably do all you could want it too :wink:

By the way, my Record came with a much flatter sole than the Bailey

I understand the quality on the Record planes has dropped off considerably since production moved to the Pacific rim, so previous experience should be regarded with extreme caution. You'd do better with an older Record or Stanley quite frankly, and it'd be cheaper too. Any of these fine tool dealers could sort you out with a user #4 in no time.

Cheers, Alf

Tony":275p4ssj said:
sharpen the blade on a decent stone and hone the edge of the chip breaker so that it sits tightly against the blade near the plane's mouth

What is the best way to hone the chip breaker? I have the dmt diamond sharpening stones fine and extra fine or i have access to metal files and a vice i am not sure what the best way of doing this is please help.

Cheers,
Derek.

Derek

I usually use a DMT medium stone for my chip breaker. What you are trying to do is hone the end where it contacts the iron to a nice sharp edge that sits tightly and evenly across the iron and will not trap any shavings between it and the iron.

It is a good idea to polish the curved front of the chip breaker too where it curves away from the iron to ensure that the shavings simply glide over it

I find that the ship breaker only takes 15 minutes or so on most planes

Back