Irwin Marples M373’s Made In Uk ? / Other Chisel Recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witterings

Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a set of chisels and recently saw in a forum that whilst some of the Irwin Marples production had moved to China the M373’s were made in the UK and was wondering if that’s still the case as the post was from 2018.

If you look at pictures from different retailers websites some pictures still have the stamp Made in Sheffield England on them and some don’t and am guessing maybe the ones that do are using old pictures.

Marples M373 Splitproof Bevel Edge Wood Chisel | Bevel Edge Chisels

Irwin Marples M373 Chisel Set 6 Piece

If their production’s gone to the dogs …. Sorry meant China … does anyone know if it’s affected the quality at all?

Also interested in other recommendations people may have, I’m a relative newbie to DIY but really enjoying the woodworking side so it’s time to get some ½ decent tools that will last.

Welcome Witterings.
I have a set of the narrow necked pattern of Marples M373's which are definitely Sheffield made. I bought them off Ebay in ones and twos to build up a set and they are excellent. You don't have to buy new - check out the dozens of Sheffield made chisels available secondhand before you decide. To start with you only need a 6mm, 9mm, 12mm and 15mm.

John

Cheers for the replies .... Rich C .... definitely Narex was the other brand I was looking at!!!

John15 ... certainly I was considering doing exactly as you say as I have a decent enough diamond stone for sharpening could tidy up any dinks etc, my only reason for going for one of the others I'm not a tidy person and they'd end up individually all over the place and I'd never be able to find the one I needed at the time at the time it was needed but if they're all in one box together I'd make sure they go back in after use.

I'm probably looking at their 8 piece set (used link the 6 piece as it was clear to see the pictures used) which doesn't have the made in Sheffield on it, it may be overkill to a degree and the larger only used very occasionally but it's only another £10 and it just means it's there for if you do want it.

... my only reason for going for one of the others I'm not a tidy person and they'd end up individually all over the place and I'd never be able to find the one I needed ...

And if you buy a set you'll be forever picking up the wrong one. 😀

Back