Iron-on edging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am building some kitchen carcasses using 18mm white melamine faced MDF. I am disappointed with the edge finish I am getting using iron-on tape. The tape doesn't always adhere as well as it might and if the iron is left on too long, it marks. And when the excess width is shaved away there is a dark line of the MDF.

I am considering whether I could use a plastic channel profile. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions? And does anyone know where I might source the plastic ?

Thanks, Colin

What are you using to cut the board, (tool & type of blade)sounds like a rough edge and splintered melamine, not the edging.

Also how are you trimming the edging?

A piece of paper between edging & iron will help with the scorch marks & keep the iron moving.

Jason

i agree with JasonB on this.

Paper is essential.

I use kitchen towel, (because i use that to wipe up spills in theworkshop, and find it is soft between iron and edging, and also works a treat if using veneer edging) between iron and edging.

Also very important to prepare the edge well as suggested.

Thanks JasonB. I use a circular saw and then router with a 6mm straight bit to create a smooth edge and remove any chip marks on the face. I remove most of the excess from the strip with a small hand plane and then with a sanding block. I'll try the tip of putting paper between the melamine and the iron.

Colin

i find the large brown envelopes the best for iron on edging, and as stated, keep the iron moving (no steam also)

I use an old block plane blade to trim the excess and then finish with fine sandpaper.

Andy

I find cutting my own edging and using contact adhesive gives a better job than the iron on stuff .

Back