ipod mini

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
any good? anyone got one?

I`m thinking of getting one, any comments from owners would be useful

steve

Hi Steve,

Is there any reason why you were thinking of an ipod in particular?

Although it is the archetypal HDD mp3 player, things have moved on and there are many examples of the genre available now, most of which far exceed in spec and performance, the ipod.

Personally I have an iRiver ihp-140, which is more a competitor for the ipod than the ipod mini; the reason I went for it was in spite of it being rather cheaper, its far superior sound to the ipods sported by most of my friends (felt more robust too). Additional features that the ipod didn't have were a nice bonus, as was not having to muck around with file manager software in order to load it up from the pc.

I would suggest going to http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk and taking a look, they have a good range of stock and are very helpful people - stacks of user reviews too.

Hope that helps a little.

V.

Since there is an MP3 thread, some questions. I need to Buy two for the kids for xmas. Do they all come with software that will allow them to copy CD's onto them. Can i get one with a trailing USB Cable or Box, so the kids are not fiddiling behind there pc's? and lastly best Value for money in the £50 range at least 128Mb

Many Thanks

Tony (Still uses his 1981 FM/AM Portable radio)

Steve

Ipod is over priced (very) and VERY under specified compared to the opposition.

I bought the Creative Nomad a year back and got double the disk capacity for £100 less than an IPod AND the battery lasts half as long again!!!! (12hrs v 8hrs)

Also the Ipods don't work with Micorsoft's mwa compression which is far superior to the (very old) MP3 format. wma compresses music a lot more than MP3 for the same sound quality

Typical Apple - innovative but too expensive and then quickly overtaken by the rest who copy and improve very quickly (which is pretty much what happens to English inventions too)

this firm has a few, looking at getting these for the kids this christmas.. or something very similar...

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prod ... z1p0s0n0m0

i used to use CDex for converting CDA files to MP3 but i'm sure there are others around now that are better (it has been 5 years since i first used it)

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

There's also a couple of utilities for converting streaming audio into MP3 files - the kids can both spend hours on yahoo launch radio... but there's probably something about copyright making that illegal though...

S'funny - a recent MP3 player review pull-out from 'which hi-fi' (or some such) still placed the ipod as the best MP3 player out there - even compared to the creative and iriver ones.

Me, I wouldn't know, being a luddite, but if I remember when I'm in the office on Monday, I'll dig out the review and have a look and post a response.

(iriver got 5/5 stars, as well as the ipod, IIRC - don't remember why they chose ipod as best in class though)

You do tend to find people who will sway towards the ipod because, well, it's an ipod! To be honest, it is probably still one of the slickest looking hdd mp3 players out there, but unfortunately these days that is the only edge it has.
Being a total gadget freak and techno slave I have listened to and fiddled with a vast number of mp3 players, and functionally there really is nothing to recommend the ipod over it's peers apart from the 'it's an ipod' factor.

As I advised Steve, check out www.advancedmp3players.co.uk, ok they don't stock every make and model you can get, but they really know their stuff and offer extremely good advice (plus a price match on all their stock). There's also a 'guide' which allows you to enter your criteria and it returns the models that meet them, allowing you to make a decision based on the user reviews or looks or whatever.

V.

Pal of mine has the Creative JukeBox 3 which seems a superb and robust bit of kit.
I want one but can't find them as they are outdated I think. Missed a couple on Ebay though, I'm too mean :).
If anyone knows where to get one I'd be obliged.
Regards

martin

got one.

you have to use UB2 or firewire, good job I got a firewire card.

the reason behind wanting an ipod is :

http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSi ... s/PG01.htm

I`m getting a caompany car which I`m not allowed to modify, sadly its only got a tape player. (I know they are illegal), with one of these fm modulators i can use the ipod in the car vai the radio.

looking at the link above, there seems to be far more accessories for ipods than any other player out there.

I know you can get this kind of stuff for other players (if you look hard enough), but the ipod has far more 3rd party support.

steve

Any gadget or add-on you can get for an ipod you can get for any other mp3 player. There are countless 3rd party short range modulators that do what you require for any mp3 player you care to plug into it, but of course the ipod ones have that slick 'dental surgery' cleanliness to the design. Again, you pay for it, but it all boils down really to how high up your list of specs comes 'image'.
Don't think I'm knocking ipods, I'm really not, and if you choose to get one I'm sure you'll be delighted with it; it's just that these days there are more realistically priced alternatives that are at least as good.
Keep us informed about what you decide! :)

V.

i bought one at the weekend.

There are countless 3rd party short range modulators that do what you require for any mp3 player you care to plug into it,

I found very few, maybe I did`nt look hard enough (I mean the actual wireless ones, not just the modulator you plug into the back of the sterio)

I wanted a cradle type afare so I would`nt have to deal with wires and plugs and stuff.

http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSi ... s/PG01.htm

above seems to be a very elegant approach that I could`nt find for any other player.

I`m very happy with it, I went for the mini one. 4Gb of storage, plenty for my 2 hour drive to work.

steve

Back