Ipe Decking splits after two days

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Bought some Ipe decking two months ago and stored out outside covered with ply to keep rain off. When I recieved it I measured moisture content at about 13%.

Started laying it on Friday and have noticed small hairline splits already - photos attached. The install site is a south facing garden in Jersey, Channel Islands. The last few days its been about 18 degrees and about 45% humidity. Ipe has been installed years ago on other projects on this site and that also has similar splits but I'm surprised its happened to this new Ipe after only three days.

Anything to worry about?

Regards, Andrew

I don't think it's anything to have serious concern over but it does indicate the ipe was dried poorly.

ED65 - please explain
ED65":2admnuy4 said:
I don't think it's anything to have serious concern over but it does indicate the ipe was dried poorly.

on some of the Ipe in the storage pile has areas where the timber is peeling off the surface (shakes) and other boards are showing large splits from the edges. Photos below

Hello,

Nothing to worry about, it'll do that. It is so flipping dense, it will almost never have a uniform moisture content. The inside is going to be wetter than the outer skin, so will always have a lot of wetness permeating back and forth. Dry the outside rapidly with a bit if direct sun for a few hours, it will crack a bit.

Mike.

fobos8":35iejvr4 said:
ED65 - please explain
From the books defects like this are either a problem with the wood, due to drying or occasionally poor storage conditions.

Where it's not localised to one area of a board or one or two boards only in a batch but seen across all or most boards it becomes more likely it's due to the drying. Probably a bad kilning schedule, e.g. too hot for too little time.

Back