Members can turn off viewing Ads!

iPad viewing images problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Gant

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I get the same on my iPhone, and have done ever since I joined last summer. But there is a workaround. If you tap on the image you get a menu of icons at the top, one of which makes the photo full screen (see screenshot of your photo opened as just a strip). The menu only last a second or two. If you just open to full screen you can scroll through the images. However you need to tap again and close the image to return to the text. 12DAE2F1-8DE4-4A4B-930E-1CC0C13B70F6.png

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed we have,

Didn't get a solution then about the photos or why adding a punctuation mark deletes the last letter typed, or why when starting a new sentence it doesn’t start automatically with a capital letter.
presumably it’s the software the forum is on so it’s out of admin’s hands.
As Angie stated in the other thread, this is an iOS vs XenForo issue at the developer level, with each blaming the other. This is not an isolated UKW issue, and as you said, there is nothing we can do as Moderators or Administrators. Maybe it will be fixed in future releases of either software. :dunno:

I can't help with the disappearing character after adding punctuation. For the capitalization of the first word in a new sentence, this is a default setting in iOS and XenForo doesn't affect it. On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > General > Keyboard, and ensure the "Auto-Capitalization" option is enabled.

RichardG

Established Member
Reaction score
As Angie stated in the other thread, this is an iOS vs XenForo issue at the developer level, with each blaming the other. This is not an isolated UKW issue, and as you said, there is nothing we can do as Moderators or Administrators. Maybe it will be fixed in future releases of either software. :dunno:
I went over the XenForo site and created a free demo board. I then created a couple of new posts on my demo board and then viewed on my iPad and everything is perfect. It’s obviously a later version of the software and looks like they have fixed the issue.

I logged in as Admin and here’s a screenshot of the versions of the demo software.

So there is hope……

Attachments

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
You probably were using the latest software. This is a version before the latest.

RichardG

Established Member
Reaction score
That’s what I meant, that hopefully when ukworkshop updates to the latest 2021 version the issue will be fixed as I couldn’t get it to fail on the demo version.

Yorkieguy

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a 2019 i-pad Air and have this problem, which I've overcome (sort of). When the black screen comes up (sometimes with a short strip of the picture at the top) I touch and hold the i-pad screen at the top right and several icons pop up. Far right is an 'X' to close the screen, and next to it is a 'down-arrow' and in the centre of the screen the message 'Do you want to Download or View?' (see pic 1). If I touch 'View' the picture appears full screen, (see pic 2) or alternatively, can be downloaded. The the screen can be closed in the normal manner to view other pictures or posts as desired.

I've annotated the two screen shots to illustrate what I mean. (Assuming that readers of this message can make this 'work-around' work so they can view the pictures!). It's been like this since 2019 I started using this i-pad in late 2019, but as no-one else has ever mentioned it as an issue until now, I've never bother to mention it either. I just assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that other forum users had fathomed out how to overcome this glitch.

(It doesn't happen on other forums (fora?) that I use on my i-pad).

Hope that helps.

David.

Attachments

sometimewoodworker

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a 2019 i-pad Air and have this problem, which I've overcome (sort of). When the black screen comes up (sometimes with a short strip of the picture at the top) I touch and hold the i-pad screen at the top right and several icons pop up. Far right is an 'X' to close the screen, and next to it is a 'down-arrow' and in the centre of the screen the message 'Do you want to Download or View?' (see pic 1). If I touch 'View' the picture appears full screen, (see pic 2) or alternatively, can be downloaded. The the screen can be closed in the normal manner to view other pictures or posts as desired.

I've annotated the two screen shots to illustrate what I mean. (Assuming that readers of this message can make this 'work-around' work so they can view the pictures!). It's been like this since 2019 I started using this i-pad in late 2019, but as no-one else has ever mentioned it as an issue until now, I've never bother to mention it either. I just assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that other forum users had fathomed out how to overcome this glitch.

(It doesn't happen on other forums (fora?) that I use on my i-pad).

Hope that helps.

David.
Regrettably no it doesn’t as your experience is not universally the same as that of other iPad users

I get this
CEFF8DAF-3DC1-4A4D-B541-CFB58D8AC597.png

if I touch and hold I then get this
DE218F28-2990-4414-A9A2-F0B7D028152C.png

if I click the link I get taken back to the original post.

Conclusion. The forum software developers have their heads inserted into a body orifice not designed for conversation. Since this is the only software that exhibits these problems.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I was trying my iPad to test images. This is from an iPad and safari for the browser.

Top where I have two I used the icon on the above bar.

On the 2nd post I used the attach files.

sometimewoodworker

Established Member
Reaction score
All of the images render perfectly on my iPhone running iOS 14.5 and safari. I will confirm later using my iPads
My iPad Air 2 running 14.5 and iPad 3 running iOS 9.3.6 both see all 3 images perfectly an interesting point is that iOS 9.3.6 probably has fewer problems
image.png

than the most updated version
522AAA1E-3BBB-45A1-ACDF-5B7BFD056841.png

these are the same page on the 2 iPads!

Last edited:

Old.bodger

Established Member
Reaction score
Angie, the strange thing is that for me the picture you posted show ‘full size’ within the post. The ‘black screen’ issue applies when a picture posted is showing in the post as a thumbnail.

using Air 2 ios14.5

RichardG

Established Member
Reaction score
iPads are so common I can’t believe one of the mods or developers don’t have access to one to replicate the issue, but as Old.bodger says it’s only images that are shown as thumbnails that cause a problem.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I always recommend making the images uploaded a FULL image. But it is interesting to know this is a thumbnail feature.

RichardG

Established Member
Reaction score
I always recommend making the images uploaded a FULL image. But it is interesting to know this is a thumbnail feature.
Or left as attachments, the only way that images appear to work is FULL.

The trouble is, those of us with rubbish Internet connections suffer when FULL images are used, it should be that thumbnails are the recommended method, until 2035 when we all have fibre in the U.K….

sometimewoodworker

Established Member
Reaction score
The trouble is, those of us with rubbish Internet connections suffer when FULL images are used, it should be that thumbnails are the recommended method, until 2035 when we all have fibre in the U.K….
So you mean that I, who live in a village of a couple of hundred people 8km away from the nearest town and 55km away from the nearest city, in a country with a much smaller GDP than the U.K. have had a better connection than is available in the U.K.?
I have had fibre for the last 3 years, it isn’t universal but there are few people who can’t get it and that’s changing.

Yorkieguy

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in Cottingham - a large village five miles from Hull. Hull is unique in having its own telephone servce, never having been part of the national telephone network.

It was always at the forefront of innovation and had a digital exchange long before most cities in the UK or indeed Europe. The company was run by the local Council until it was floated on the Stock Exchange as a PLC some years ago. It’s now called KCom Ltd (Kingston Communications).

For the last five years, all premises in its Hull and East Yorkshire service area have had super-fast broadband with fibre to the premises. I think that’s quite rare if not unique in the UK, where most fibre networks, such as they are, are just to the cabinet with the copper landline from there to the premises.

I just have the basic 75 MBPS which is adequate for my needs. It never skips a beat.

No other Internet Service Provider operates in the Hull & East Yorks KCom service area (even though they could gain access to the KCom network), because they wouldn’t be able to pick up many customers.

What’s more, if I do have a problem and call KCom helpline, the person who answers is in an office five miles away and speaks with a local accent I can understand - not on another continent in another time zone with English as a second language.