Ipad question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
photobucket i think works with ipads i managed to photograph something and upload it on the forum using PB while driving down the M4 (passenger on a coach) this was all done with an android phone.

adidat

The iPad doesn't (and probably won't ever) have Flash. As long as the upload doesn't need that but is Javascript, in theory you *could* do so, but crucially, a non jail-broken iPad doesn't allow visibility of its filestructure.
It is not at all a Macbook without a keypad.

If you can email images you can 'upload' but I don't think this forum's file upload will work, as Apple have concealed 'files' from users, so that you can't treat a picture as just a file in that way.

FWIW, it's a major frustration for me that Apple think all iPad users are idiots. I'd love one, especially as a focusing aid for my DSLR, and to be able to move images on and off it via USB, but the latter is impossible without using iTunes. If I get one I'll have to jailbreak it to get the functionality I want, and this is putting me off.

We got one for my wife, who loves it, but even she (technophobia-are-us) finds the dumbing-down somewhat frustrating occasionally.

I'm thinking of Android instead at the moment, although Apple's Samsung-bashing is alarming too.

E.

:x I knew I should have got the Samsung! Gone with head and not heart! just bought this iPad for my missus birthday, (I am just testing it!) and it was a tough choice. I knew there was no flash, USB etc but she wanted one for the oooo factor. But simply interacting with the web and uploading a Pic surely should be a basic function!
Without doubt the iPad is the slickest user experience but why oh why shirk basic connectivity?
Next thing you know apple will probably invent and patent their own language and shun english as a user language!

I don't know where everyone gets the idea you can't upload photos from an iPad - absolute nonsense.

I do it all the time;

I use an apple camera connection kit that is a little white plug which makes the apple connector on the bottom into a USB, into which I can connect my camera and phone using their respective cables. When you do this a little dialog box comes up that allows you to pick the images to download and delete off the camera if you want.

I then use an app called Snapseed to edit and refine pictures, from which I can directly upload to Flickr when I'm done. Alternatively you can email upload to Flickr as well if you want to do it without using snapseed.

I then go to Flickr to grab the html code (exactly as I would have to if on the PC) and use it on the forum.

To my mind that's no more complicated than using a macbook or a PC.

Ed

Mr Ed":1k893vi0 said:
I don't know where everyone gets the idea you can't upload photos from an iPad - absolute nonsense.
I didn't say you couldn't. I said you couldn't do it directly to a forum. And that is true.
I do it all the time;

I use an apple camera connection kit that is a little white plug which makes the apple connector on the bottom into a USB, into which I can connect my camera and phone using their respective cables. When you do this a little dialog box comes up that allows you to pick the images to download and delete off the camera if you want.

I then use an app called Snapseed to edit and refine pictures, from which I can directly upload to Flickr when I'm done. Alternatively you can email upload to Flickr as well if you want to do it without using snapseed.

I then go to Flickr to grab the html code (exactly as I would have to if on the PC) and use it on the forum.

To my mind that's no more complicated than using a macbook or a PC.

Ed

So two third-parties are involved, and even then you reference the image rather than upload it.

I too have the camera kit. It's a chocolate teapot for me, as I can't plug in Compact Flash cards (as used by many pro cameras), nor connect a USB card reader, even though it has a USB port. You can't even write to a USB stick that way either.

Please don't misunderstand: I've been an enthusiastic Apple user for 20 years or so. When the kids were smaller, I was the only member of the household not using a desktop Mac (had to be Wintel for work). I love the design of the iPad, too.

But Apple's closed architecture brings with it additional costs and limitations I don't like. And you can't upload directly to the forum (as far as I can see). I've just tried to, incidentally: the file "browse" button is greyed-out on the iPad, as expected.

Sorry.

E.

Eric The Viking":curnr450 said:
I didn't say you couldn't. I said you couldn't do it directly to a forum. And that is true.
Actually I was more referring to Nev's comment that uploading a picture should be a basic function of the iPad, which it is.

In the same way as the upload button on the forum is greyed out, you will find the upload button on Flickr greyed out as well. My point really is there's other ways round things, such as using in-App uploading or email.

I use Snapseed to edit pics anyway, so just clicking the upload to Flickr button after I'm done is easy. I want my pics on there, not on the forum as I use them in multiple locations. If uploading to the forum was the only thing you wanted to do I can see it would be annoying, but as with everything theres other ways round it.

Ed

I use Tapatalk on my iPhone and can load pics direct to Forums.
If the App works with iPads perhaps that's the way to go?

Rod

Eric The Viking":hi75tzd9 said:
I too have the camera kit. It's a chocolate teapot for me, as I can't plug in Compact Flash cards (as used by many pro cameras), nor connect a USB card reader, even though it has a USB port. You can't even write to a USB stick that way either.
E.

Hi E,
I did buy one of these and can confirm it works for the camera connection, dont know if it carries the same cards as you use but if it does its probably worth a punt at a fiver? on the box it says you can insert SD(HC), MS DUO, MMC, M2, T-FLASH cards. nowhere near the quality of apple but for a fiver...

Mr Ed
I agree with you there are ways to most things, and not too difficult either for those with a little web knowledge, but my missus couldnt do it and i suspect there are quite a number of others that cant even though they are familiar with the web from pc or android devices.
I cannot fault the Ipad on anything it does, its a lovely and great piece of kit. It what it doesnt do, but no doubt could , that narks me. #-o Rant over. handbag down :wink:

Thanks Nev,

You persuaded me to try an experiment: with the camera kit, I CAN use a Compact Flash reader plugged into the USB adaptor. It's fairly fast in loading the previews from Canon (.CR2) raw-format images, too, although I didn't try a download as I don't want my pics on 'her' iPad really.

So that's a result, :), although it's only IN to the iPad, not back out to another storage device :-(

Cheers,

E.

Back