iPad connectivity USB

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
As far as I can see you need a special cable that plugs into the iPad Dock and has a USB connector at the other end. To power (charge up?) the iPad you then plug this USB end into their power adapter. But if you want to connect a USB peripheral to the iPad (say an SD card reader) and if that needs power then how do you do it? Do you need to get a powered USB hub, plug the iPad into one socket and the peripheral into another one....both then being powered from the USB hub?

So presumably then if you want to use the iPad in a portable mode away from power then you can't connect up something like a USB reader ? Or does it depend on the power that whatever USB peripheral needs?
As you may have gathered I know little about USB connectivity.

iPads use Apple's 30-pin dock connecter, standard across all iPods, iPads and iPhones. To import photos into an iPad you need the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - a two-part kit comprising an SD card adapter, and a USB adapter. Either use your SD card in the adapter direct, or use the USB adapter to connect the camera by USB cable.

Obviously, as the dock connector is being used by the card reader/USB adapter, the iPad can't be connected to the mains whilst you do the transfer, but given the iPad's battery life that shouldn't be a problem ;)

HTH Pete.

I wanted to place some pictures om my pad 2 via memory stick inserted into the camera connector as mentioned above but a pop up stated not enough power comming through so I had to do it via the dslr camera. A bit annoyed but it worked. Does this sound right about the power.

The iPad doesn't support USB memory sticks, I don't think, though it will read from sd cards or direct from camera via the camera connection kit as stated above.
The kit also allows USB keyboard to work with iPad.

Si

Its the major limitation on me actually getting an iPad - the fact that it cannot be used as a workstation/laptop replacement. Holding files in the 'cloud' is fine if you are located in one place, but trying to do so on a train or when travelling is impossible due to signal drop out. The inability to actually connect an external hard drive (USB or other) also means it is less useful as a device for working on. I am sure as a web browser and glorified media viewer it works fine, but its then very expensive for those purposes, and a laptop performs those functions anyway - if you need a laptop to work on then why on earth would you want an iPad at all except for the cachet and novelty? It seems to fall between two stalls, but still sells to Apple fan-boys. Its a real shame because Apple tech is very good and generally works flawlessly :(

Steve

petermillard":1azxgwui said:
...... To import photos into an iPad you need the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - a two-part kit comprising an SD card adapter, and a USB adapter. ..... Pete.

Interesting product, Pete. The reviews are very binary. If it works with your particular combination of iPad version, OS version and camera then it gets five stars. Otherwise it doesn't work and gets 1 star. I was leaning towards the iPad as it is cheaper and lighter and I don't really need a laptop but now it's starting to look as if a secondhand laptop is the way to go. Even if I take SWMBO's camera into an Apple store, there's no guarantee that it will continue to work with the next version of the iPad OS.

For instance, reading one review seems to suggest that at the back-end of 2010, the OS changed and limited the available current from the USB port on the iPad which meant that if you had a camera that was reliant on external power via the USB port (to save camera battery) then the camera would no longer connect to the iPad via USB. Said review then went on to say that some camera's you could change this default setting so it ran on internal camera battery (problem solved) or on some you could not change the default.

Roger, I was recommending it on my personal experience, so I'll confess I hadn't read the reviews - and some folks have clearly had issues. However, I bought mine at the same time as I bought my iPad (May 2010) and it has worked faultlessly during that time with every OS upgrade that Apple has produced, and with cards/cameras from Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Veho Muvi, and Casio, as well as camera phones from Apple and Blackberry.

From reading the reviews, the problem does seem to be specific to people connecting the camera to the USB port by cable, rather than using the card-reader; when it was first introduced, there was a lot of media coverage about people using the connection kit to power USB peripherals not directly supported by iPad, so my best guess is that Apple have at some point hobbled the power available to the USB connection, probably during an OS update, but with the consequence of causing problems with some cameras - not ideal with a product called the Camera Connection Kit!

As I say, it isn't something I've experienced, and provided you have the option to take the card out of the camera and read it directly then I don't think it'll be an issue if you bought a current iPad - you don't have to apply every OS update if you don't want to, and personally I always leave updating to a OS for a few weeks, just in case there are consequences!

Apple have refurbished iPads (full warranty) for sale on their website, btw - here.

Cheers, Pete

Reading forums and other Apple news sites, indicates that the new iPad III's will have USB comnnections. Should be revealed soon by Apple and on sale here in November.

petermillard":3gdgbt38 said:
Roger, I was recommending it on my personal experience, so I'll confess I hadn't read the reviews - and some folks have clearly had issues. However, I bought mine at the same time as I bought my iPad (May 2010) and it has worked faultlessly during that time with every OS upgrade that Apple has produced, and with cards/cameras from Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Veho Muvi, and Casio, as well as camera phones from Apple and Blackberry.

From reading the reviews, the problem does seem to be specific to people connecting the camera to the USB port by cable, rather than using the card-reader; when it was first introduced, there was a lot of media coverage about people using the connection kit to power USB peripherals not directly supported by iPad, so my best guess is that Apple have at some point hobbled the power available to the USB connection, probably during an OS update, but with the consequence of causing problems with some cameras - not ideal with a product called the Camera Connection Kit!

As I say, it isn't something I've experienced, and provided you have the option to take the card out of the camera

And therein lies the rub. While I can take the card out of the camera, it's Sony's proprietary Memory Stick ProDuo. Certainly my current USB media reader won't read it (even though it has a slot marked Memory Stick..I believe there are many different types and sizes of Memory Stick and all generically called Memory Stick...nice one, Sony :evil: ). So it's a case of hunting around for a compatible USB reader OR use the USB cable which is what I usually do at home.

petermillard":3gdgbt38 said:
Apple have refurbished iPads (full warranty) for sale on their website, btw - here.

Cheers, Pete

I know. I have their widget on my desktop! May well bite the bullet and take the camera into our local Apple store and see if the USB link works.

EDIT: Just found out that I won a Belkin Media Reader for an iPod for £4! That suggests it can read Memory Sticks...we shall see. A shiny new iPod would be much more useful....

Be very careful if mixing and matching Ipod/pad etc. devices with PC laptop USB ports etc.
I understand that the Apple USB interface is designed to different power requirement standards, hence why some devices have current sensing built in for protection etc.
Connecting them to Standard USB ports without the current protection may blow the motherboard USB and possibly other functions.
We always use a Powered hub as a buffer at home to do this, not something readily available when mobile.

@Roger. Ah, Memory Stick, OK. I'd swing by your local Apple store and try it out. Could be that you need to keep your camera connected to the mains while you're doing the transfer, so it isn't trying to charge itself over USB from the iPad; not sure if the CCK works with iPod, btw - doesn't work with iPhone.

CHJ":3s4h74hj said:
Be very careful if mixing and matching Ipod/pad etc. devices with PC laptop USB ports etc.
I understand that the Apple USB interface is designed to different power requirement standards, hence why some devices have current sensing built in for protection etc.
Just to qualify - and if we're drifting OT as bit here, then my apologies - but the USB power spec is for 5v at 500mA - some peripherals (e.g. external HDs) require more than this, which is why many of them come with a 'Y' connector to draw power from two USB ports. Since about 2007 Apple's computers can supply up to 1100ma over USB to those Apple devices that require it for charging (iPods etc…) - more detail than any sane person could ever want here - hence the 'built-in current sensing' Chas refers to.

But that's for Apple devices, plugged into Apple computers. Now, I'm no expert, but I don't see how e.g. an iPad plugged into a regular PC USB port supplying 500mA can 'blow a motherboard' - the device is drawing power from the USB port; if the port isn't supplying sufficient power, then the device simply won't charge. In an ideal world you'll get a message to that effect, if not you'll need to take a look at the screen to see if the little 'plugged in' symbol is lit.

For the record, we've had iPods etc… since they were first available and used them with all manner of PCs from off-the-shelf Dells, Sonys, Advents etc.. to fire-breathing-monster custom-built gaming PCs, without any problems whatsoever.

Cheers, Pete

It's the PC MB that gets damaged, a lot of older PC boards (and I'm only talking a few years) do not have current limiting on the USB socket and the regulator dies often taking out other functions.

Some devices (Hard Disks etc.) with twin USB cables will work with one plugged in, only last week my son had to inform someone they had wrecked their laptop by plugging in excessive loads on their laptop socket via an unpowered splitter.

I also noted that someone mentioned that current limiting introduced by software update could be bypassed. Be very cautious, it may be that the device had been failing due to inability to maintain power output and the software throttle was put in place to prevent damage.

OK....have just taken delivery of a 'new' iPad. Comes with a USB plug on the end of the iPad cable but it's the same gender as the USB plug on the camera cable. Do I need a USB hub or are there USB couplers?

RogerS":1h9kpja5 said:
OK....have just taken delivery of a 'new' iPad. Comes with a USB plug on the end of the iPad cable but it's the same gender as the USB plug on the camera cable. Do I need a USB hub or are there USB couplers?
That cable will not let you connect to a camera. You need the camera connection kit mentioned. The cable will connect to a power supply or computer.

sometimewoodworker":26qmgs19 said:
RogerS":26qmgs19 said:
That cable will not let you connect to a camera. You need the camera connection kit mentioned. The cable will connect to a power supply or computer.

Oops...you're right :oops:

Back