Invisible shelf supports

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been asked to make some shelves out of quite 'chunky' solid walnut. The individual shelves will be about 50mm deep. However, the person wants the shelves to appear as if they have no brackets to support them.

The shelves will go on a solid wall and I have no idea how I can hang the shelves without some form of bracket being visible - can any advise on how I might be able to make it look as if the shelves are just attached direct to the wall?

Cheers,

Dave

I think these things are normally quite thick and hide a recess on the wall edge of the shelf that is the female part to a batten screwed to the wall. The batten then provides the support for the shelf and is invisible. Not sure whether or not you screw the shelf to the batten.

You need some kind of bracket that you can secure to the wall. Then the shelf slots onto (concealing) that bracket.
I guess it's like a mortice and tenon using the wall to hold the tenon.

This image might explain it better
shelfBracket.jpg

The screw that holds the shelf to the bracket is better placed on top as it will give better strength, but for lower shelves you might want to fix from underneath. Not sure how much weight a shelf like this will support though.

Hope this helps
Andy

Dave

I've often thought about doing this by mounting 2 steel bars into the wall, drilling two holes into the back of the chunky timber and slide it into place.

off the top of my head I think I would do this by using those anchors desinged to tighten when the nu get's done up, tightening the nut onto the wall, drilling a hole for the bar and a recess for the num into the shelf and sliding it on

I emphasis I have never done this, but I' sure I saw this general idea used for floating shelves sold by a certain nordic furniture company (ducking and hiding :-$ )

Les

Hi Dave

I have small shelves, holding speakers, in two corners of my lounge and they are supported in the style of the shelf that Andy has drawn. But without any fixing between the shelf and the bracket.

The bracket is screwed to the wall but it is the tight fit that keeps the shelf located.

It's held up for about six years now. :D

Cheers
Neil

Perhaps a length of threaded rod right through the shelf, into a rawlbolt fixing in the wall. recess the nut at the front of the shelf and then plug or lip the shelf. I would think that would be the strongest fixing.....or rawbolt again with threaded rod, but this time do the nut up to the wall surface to secure it then drill and slide shelf on relying on friction of the threads on the rod to hold it in place.

cheers Alan

Just been loking through Woodcentral and one poster there has attached a shelf to the wall with pocket screws into a doorframe. You could do the same into the wall if you could then plug the holes in the wood in some way.

I bought a couple of shelves like this (800mm long x 250mm deep x 50mm thick) in a sale over Christmas. The shelves were damaged but I wanted the brackets that they came with for my own shelves.

Basically they are lengths of rod running through a metal plate. Drill a hole in the wall and put one end of the rod in the hole. Screw the plate to the wall. the other end of the rod thus extends firmly from the wall and the shelf slides over it. There is an elongated slot at the rear of the shelf to allow for inaccuracies in the positioning of the rods. The shelf is a firm fit over the protruding rod. It looks as if they should be pretty secure but really ought to be used on brick walls. I haven't got around to using them yet.

Hope you can understand the description. I can post some pictures over the weekend if you can't

Andrew

I've done shelves with no end support as Les describes but resin bonded studding into the wall and holes in the shelf. You will need to drill at least 4" into each, if you drill say 14mm and use M12 studding this gives room for the glue and a bit of play for leveling. You will need a temporary support while the glue goes off.

If there is support along one return wall then the batten that is a tight fit into a recess works well, I usually screw the batten to the wall and use wood glue to hold the shelf in place. The advantage of this method is that the groove means you have less wood to plane when shooting the shelf to the wall.

Will post a pic later of the shelf above my computer.

Jason

Woodfit/Chorley Lancs. used to stock a great bit of kit called the "dovill" or "dorvill" bracket; basically, steel rod plus plastic superstructure to screw to shelf. I haven't got a current catalogue as I installed my last kitchen several years back, anybody got a recent edition?

These are probably the sort of thing that Sammie is referring to:

http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/...+shelf+supports,+press-fit+into+masonry+walls

http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/...ealed+shelf+support+with+screw+mounting+plate

I've used the first type before - they work fine, but its a right pain to drill the support holes that deep into the shelf and unless the masonry in the wall is super sound (- and lets face it, it is until you want to drill into it) then its quite awkward to fit.

I've used the batten method before and I think it works best (IMO)

Cheers

Tim

Samie,

Thanks for the recommendation for Woodfit in Chorley - I've just checked out their website - seems to be a real source.

Thanks,

Dave

Tim,

I have just seen Hafele supply only to the trade - any suggestions how I might get hold of some as I'm not 'trade'??

Dave

Most good ironmongery suppliers can order Hafale items in for you.

Jason

Thanks Jason - meant to mention that :oops:

Dave - have you tried Isaac Lord? They may have them. Having read the blurb though , it says that they are for 19 or 22mm shelves and you are talking about 50mm ones. Don't know whether they would suit - althought can't really see why not.

Cheers

T

Back