Introductions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Matthew, welcome to the forum
Not sure how long you've studied the subject on building workshops,
(I have no experience on the subject, nor do I know what type of building you are planning on constructing, so will suggest this link for a start
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/dbt85s-workshop-moved-in-and-now-time-to-fit-it-out.121866/
A few folks have posted here before with some flawed ideas on the design part of things, most were likely way too far down the road to turn back, and do things the way they are done for good reason,
"Breathable membranes" and damp proof course issues are likely to happen without a good grasp of knowledge of things.
Mike G used to be the man that would frequently answer questions on the forum on all construction matters, before he left recently.

Not trying to patronize you, as I have no idea of your knowledge, just trying to save you from a moldy workshop, or one that makes you equipment rust.

All the best
Tom
many thanks this thread is a god send to me, my knowledge is also limited to say the best. For the time being it’s going to be a glorified shed, my thought process was ”make something that if I do decide to make it more of a profession I could take down and upcycle the wood“. I’ve got some “napkin” drawings that I did on my iPad I’ve attached them but it looks like I’ve a lot more to consider. I haven’t quite decided where a window/windows will go I was also looking into the flooring and roof membrane before I joined here.
D26ECBB1-C9F4-4412-908B-3F0E8D76D0DB.png
A7604C8F-7F31-4264-88B9-103D9AE07FAA.png
D0231E7F-83DF-4602-95BC-65DD5EFFBEC0.png

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, as Tom said there is a mass of information in the back catalogues on here, have a look at Mike G. His architectural knowledge on how to build a workshop is invaluable. Ian
Thank you I’ve attached some drawings maybe you guys could give me your initial first impressions

Why not go to 2.44 X 4.88m as that is the standard size I'd 4 X plywood sheets?

Might be that you cain't for space reasons......

Looks good otherwise.

I would use 150m /6" timbers to span 2.4m roof and floors.

Cheers James

The [30] figure in the last image (height of triangle) should be [300] -- might not seem much of an issue but lesser things have tripped me up in the past !

Mathew, welcome.

Before you get too far with your shed design, I think you need to rethink the height, its far to low to give any headroom.

This is worthy of note, from the planning portal:

"Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.

Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.

Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse."

Welcome to the forum good luck with your new workshop

+1 for the height and headroom. My garden becomes a swamp this time of year and I'm often in my shed in wellies (1 inch taller) . Ear defenders can add another inch of height and it's not much fun when you whack those against a roof beam.

Welcome to the mad house. A fair few of us have built our own workshops on here and posted a WIP. Your design is similar in size and shape to mine.

I found it a really rewarding experience from start to finish, which was over a year. I made a few errors in the design of the construction but nothing that’ll be a disaster, and if it was 50cm deeper inside it would be ideal.

My key advice would be. If you are planning on a building that will last you 20years and that you will insulated you need to get the base (foundations) and wall design correct. Ask lots of questions on here and get these straight, they are very tough to fix after the event.

fitz.

Back