Introductions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgk1285

Reaction score
Firstly thank you to the admin, for approving me.

hello my name is Matthew and i live near Leeds, I’m 35 years old and very new to woodworking. I’ve always been interested in woodworking from a little kid when me and my dad made a shed/wooden framed greenhouse maybe 20+ years ago,( if I can find picks I’ll post them, as it’s still standing to this day) I’ve been wanting to start woodworking as a hobby, but I’ve always been busy with work or been short on money to get started. I’ve managed to gather a few basic tools and I plan on gartherimg a whole lot more. My plans are to make a large shed/workshop (in the next couple of months) and slowly build on my knowledge I have now, and one day maybe make it more than a hobby.

im open to learn new techniques/ and I won’t take offence from critiques either so if I do post any of my work please tell me where I could have improved or went wrong.

I haven’t been this excited about something for years and im really looking forward to speaking with you and if you don’t mind learn any tip and trick you may have to offer.

Welcome, I’ve not been here too long, what I can tel, you is you’ve picked the right place, the folks here are/have been friendly and they are immensely knowledgable and talented!

Padster

Welcome, I’ve not been here too long, what I can tel, you is you’ve picked the right place, the folks here are/have been friendly and they are immensely knowledgable and talented!

Padster
I know I saw the tread where you post a pic of your latest project and there’s some really impressive projects

Hello Matthew, welcome to the forum
Not sure how long you've studied the subject on building workshops,
(I have no experience on the subject, nor do I know what type of building you are planning on constructing, so will suggest this link for a start
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/dbt85s-workshop-moved-in-and-now-time-to-fit-it-out.121866/
A few folks have posted here before with some flawed ideas on the design part of things, most were likely way too far down the road to turn back, and do things the way they are done for good reason,
"Breathable membranes" and damp proof course issues are likely to happen without a good grasp of knowledge of things.
Mike G used to be the man that would frequently answer questions on the forum on all construction matters, before he left recently.

Not trying to patronize you, as I have no idea of your knowledge, just trying to save you from a moldy workshop, or one that makes you equipment rust.

All the best
Tom

Hi and welcome, as Tom said there is a mass of information in the back catalogues on here, have a look at Mike G. His architectural knowledge on how to build a workshop is invaluable. Ian

Welcome.
With regards to tools, i have a nasty addiction to buying them! My most used tools are:
  • Festool Plunge saw with rail - i have an MFT as well, but to be fair the Centipead things with a sheet of insuation gets used more as i can move it anywhere very easily.
  • Erbauer (Screwfixes finest) sliding mitre saw
  • Erbauer 1/2" Router
  • Katsu trim router (ebay)
  • Some very cheap chisels - i tend to use them lie builders do so they always hit nails and the like!
  • A bosch random orbital sander and a lot different sanding pads
Just recently i bought myself a Domino. To be honest, it was a bit of a luxury as a friend offerd to pay me for a table i was making him! We effectivly split the 2nd hand cost of the domino, but as he got to keep the table, i got to keep the domino.

Good luck, instagram is brilliant but the "makers" tag make it look easy!

🖐🖐

Welcome Matthew.
If I were starting out again I would : 1 Avoid all Chinese tools - they are built to fail - usually in the middle of a job. 2 Don't get carried away with brand loyalty. Every toolmaker has strengths and weaknesses - do your research before buying. If you can't afford a tool give up pints and takeaways until you can. 😄 3. Machines don't just need a footprint - they need lots of space around them especially table saws and planers. Your floor space is 'real estate' - guard it against unnecessary clutter. The optimum workshop shape is a square IMO . You need bench space around the periphery and floor space in the middle. Best of luck !

Last edited:
Welcome Matthew.
If I were starting out again I would : 1 Avoid all Chinese tools - they are built to fail - usually in the middle of a job. 2 Don't get carried away with brand loyalty. Every toolmaker has strengths and weaknesses - do your research before buying. If you can't afford a tool give up pints and takeaways until you can. 😄 3. Machines don't just need a footprint - they need lots of space around them especially table saws and planers. Your floor space is 'real estate' - guard it against unnecessary clutter. The optimum workshop shape is a square IMO . You need bench space around the periphery and floor space in the middle. Best of luck !
Some really good advice thanks

Back