Introduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome AWG!

I only started turning in November and have found this forum welcoming and very helpful. It's great chatting to more experienced turners who can put you right - BEFORE you go wrong!

There's tons of information in here which is superb.

Between this place and YouTube you can't go wrong!

:D

Stiggy":paf0x7hw said:
Not so sure about You Tube, there's some very dodgy advice and practices shown there.

Rhossydd":1k41abds said:
Stiggy":1k41abds said:
Not so sure about You Tube, there's some very dodgy advice and practices shown there.

Well I would imagine common sense would prevail there...

...if you see someone using a rouging gouge to hollow a bowl then obviously don't copy them!

My rule of thumb is watch YouTube then do a quick bit of research, THEN try it on the lathe...

...you could say the same about any resource.

Stiggy":1y5bpay8 said:
then obviously don't copy them!
That may be obvious to you now, but for a total novice, how would you know ?
Not enough people are smart enough to research carefully before trying things out, just look at how many You Tube videos show table saws being used without guards.

Rhossydd":3veg5c51 said:
Stiggy":3veg5c51 said:
then obviously don't copy them!
That may be obvious to you now, but for a total novice, how would you know ?
Not enough people are smart enough to research carefully before trying things out, just look at how many You Tube videos show table saws being used without guards.

Actually I AM a novice.

When I first got my lathe, common sense told me to learn as much as I could. I read articles and watched featured youtubers or ones with loads of subscribers. I read their video comments and noted any critisism. I would then google to check their comments were well founded or not.

I think when using machinery, most people are 'smart enough' to realise there are risks. Most people will read instructions before using new equipment.

I'm still 'green' enough to unplug my lathe when using the chuck or moving the tool rest or tail stock.

Still, I acknowledge your comment all YouTubers are not experts and may also give duff advice, I was only offering a bit of light advice as to how I have been learning.

Research and ask questions before trying anything is my advice.

Hi

If only U Tube posters would apply similar logic!

Has there been any litigation with regard to dangerous or irresponsible advice given via U Tube? - just wondering

Regards Mick

Spindle":1hh0bsjx said:
Has there been any litigation with regard to dangerous or irresponsible advice given via U Tube? - just wondering
Not that I've ever heard of. I would expect that trying to take action against anyone would be exceptional difficult. Then trying to take any legal action would be prohibitively expensive. I would also expect Google to jump in and support any defence action with heavy duty lawyers to prevent a tsunami of 'me too' claims against them.

...little update

I am now the proud owner of a CL3, I am sure there are better lathes out there that people would recommend but this suited my budget!

I have also sourced second hand Record chisels to practice with. Will post pictures soon if anybody is interested.

Regarding the YouTube comments above, yes stiggy you are spot on that there are some great turning videos to learn from. I am hoping that after my tuition in two weeks I will be able to filter the dodgy videos from the worth while ones. I have subscribed to the Wyoming Woodturner since September last year and find him quite interesting. If you have any recommendations I would much appreciate them.

Thanks for your feedback people, great forum!

AWG said:
...little update

I have also sourced second hand Record chisels to practice with. Will post pictures soon if anybody is interested.

Hi

RP chisels are pretty good quality - if needs be, profile and sharpen them and they'll last a long time - not just for practise.

Regards Mick

AWG said:
...little update

Regarding the YouTube comments above, yes stiggy you are spot on that there are some great turning videos to learn from. I am hoping that after my tuition in two weeks I will be able to filter the dodgy videos from the worth while ones. I have subscribed to the Wyoming Woodturner since September last year and find him quite interesting. If you have any recommendations I would much appreciate them.quote]

For learning on Youtube, try Carl Jacobson, Wyoming Woodturner or mike Waltd for basic techniques, although then, nothing compared to a one on one with a professional tutor or club. Be a little wary of Martin Sabin Smith, very creative, I can draw some very good design and creative ideas for turning from him, but a danger to himself when given a sharp implement and a rotating piece of timber. Stopping a rotating spindle with your hands between a piece of wood and a tool rest is just asking to have your thumb removed!! working a Skew chisel towards your hand on a bench to remove a tenon is crazy! Too many "took a bit too much off there, but I think it will be ok" type comments doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. Turners Journey?, I have probably more chance of becoming a brain surgeon than Martin becoming a pro turner, and I don't like the sight of blood. :roll:

Phil

Bob Hamilton hasn't done a youtube video for some time but the many videos already put on there are pretty good. He's slow and thoughtful and analyses what he's doing (and he's got a cracking accent)

Sheptonphil":24w62r00 said:
AWG":24w62r00 said:
Be a little wary of Martin Sabin Smith, very creative, I can draw some very good design and creative ideas for turning from him, but a danger to himself when given a sharp implement and a rotating piece of timber. Stopping a rotating spindle with your hands between a piece of wood and a tool rest is just asking to have your thumb removed!! working a Skew chisel towards your hand on a bench to remove a tenon is crazy! Too many "took a bit too much off there, but I think it will be ok" type comments doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. Turners Journey?, I have probably more chance of becoming a brain surgeon than Martin becoming a pro turner, and I don't like the sight of blood. :roll:

Phil

...you're not wrong there - see the one where he cuts that flat edge on that live edge bowl!? Sheesh! ALWAYS cut away from you - correct...

...holding it at the back with your hand while cutting?

Crazy!

:roll:

Back