Introduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mind_the_goat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Been following this forum for a while and found it quite useful so I thought I'd make it official by joining.
I spend my working time staring at computer screens so when I had the chance a couple of years ago to purchase a huge garage (which also happened to have a house with it, I jumped at the chance of converting it to a workshop and do something practical. It's taken nearly 2 years to remove enough of the stuff we unloaded from the removal lorry into the garage to actually make enough room to do this but I think I finally have the floor space (albeit less than I was expecting).
I'm a complete beginner in the world of real woodwork and I spend far more time thinking about a job than actually doing it, hence the cider press I started in summer had only just been completed, and our apple tree a little short on raw material now.
I seem to be a bit of a machine freak, which I appreciate is not a good thing so I hope to work on some real skills and obtain some good hand tools.
Currently I have a B&Q table saw & mitre saw, SIP bench press and have just installed a Record RD30 Planer/thicknesser (anyone have a manual for this ?). also small collection of hand held power tools. Looking for a good extractor system now.
My next project is to complete a waney edged oak frame, I purchased the wood for this about 5 years ago so don't be expecting too many projects rolling off the conveyor belt ;-)

Rob

"I didn't get where I am today by selling ice cream tasting of bookends, pumice stone and West Germany."

Welcome.

There are still skills to using machines and using them correctly although its very satisfying to use only hand tools if time permits.

mind_the_goat":8w0uvt54 said:
Hi

Rob

"I didn't get where I am today by selling ice cream tasting of bookends, pumice stone and West Germany."

I believe you missed out "Hungarian goulash" as this is all the things you mention above...

Welcome aboard Rob, pity about the machine freaky side :shock: , too much like like production in my view...bosshogg :)

Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.
Judy Garland 

Welcome! Like your attitude about garage and house! :lol:

Roy.

mind_the_goat":33p61pzh said:
I had the chance a couple of years ago to purchase a huge garage (which also happened to have a house with it)

Excellent! (hammer)

Best advice when starting out is to buy the best tool you can afford even if it means you don't have all the tools you need for awhile.

Hehe
Thanks everyone.
I did actually manage to keep enough apples to try a first pressing. One important lesson I learned was don't play with fruit in the workshop, the whole place now smells like a cider vat.

I am actually looking forward to buying some proper hand tools, I feel the need to try cutting a dovetail.

You were luck it was only the garage, you should have come into our house when I had the beer / wine making bug, the bug was squished by 'er indoors unfortunately, she kept finding blokes asleep behind the sofa.

Andy

Back