Introduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orraloon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Just signed up so will introduce myself. My name is John and have been woodworking as a hobby most of my life. From Scotland to start with but been in Australia for 30 plus years. I am a regular member of the aus woodwork forum. Must admit to lurking on this site for many years so finally decided to sign up. I can now also see all the pics on the posts.
Over the years I have done some furnishings. Tables, beds, bookcases and stuff, also a fireplace mantle I am rather proud of. Made archery bows for a while. These days mostly cigar box guitars and some other instruments. I do some turning also. Leaning towards old hand tools now and have perhaps more hand planes than a sane man needs.
Anyhow I will post something on my next project.
Regards
John

Morning John and welcome to the forum. I spent a year living and working in Sunny Sydney and visited the Blue Mountains on more than one occasion....amazing place. We look forward to your contributions and, being a turner I envy you two things....all those fabulous native timbers on your doorstep and of course Richard Raffan....another Brit who defected down under...my favourite turner and a man who's skill with the skew has always impressed me.

Thanks guys for the welcome. I will be posting as soon as the next project gets going.

Bob,
I agree with you on all counts. The Blue Mountains is a great place to be and does have heaps of nice wood to turn.
Some of it is a bit hard however so to turn you have to be up on the sharpening. I turned a morter and pestle from ironbark a few years back and just left the grinder running all through the whole turning process.
I have seen Richard turn at a few demos and he makes everything look effortless. You know you are looking at a master of the art. He is genorous with his time happy to answer even the dumb questions.
Regards
John

Attachments

• P1010009~1.JPG
    P1010009~1.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 66
Hiya John, welcome. Hope you find as much fun on here as I have over the last couple of years. I retired 5 years ago when I reached 70, just thought I ought to take time out and relax more, rather than being a workaholic. I did plan what to do and before I got back to playing with wood again, I enjoyed a couple of years learning about studio photography, but then sold off a few lenses and bought no end of gear for woodworking. Just potter along making a few bandsaw boxes as I sell a few, but no pressure. Hope to se you around.
Malcolm

Hi John, g'dday indeed cobber!

I have rellies in Lithgow and spent the best 12 months of my life (so far) in Oz. Helped my uncle build an extension whilst there (this was in 1982/83) and met my first (and last) copperhead face to face!

Brilliant workies club in Lithgow!

Cheers

Andrew 8)

Back