Introduction from North east Scotland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnMessUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in the north east of Scotland and got into woodwork a few years ago. Since then I have been gathering tools and skills.

I still have a ton of stuff to learn and I doubt I will never learn it all but thats the fun of woodwork for me. I want to start making wooden toys and small peaces of furniture for sale eventually.

I doubt I will ever make a ton of cash from it but I want to do it more for the process of creating a nice piece.

I wondered if during my introduction I could ask a few questions if you don't mind having a look cheers.

First off is my router its a 1200w plunge router has been a great tool to learn with and use but it has a trigger that you have to move before you can get it going. My problem with it is I have put the router in a table and as a jury rig I have used a cable tie to keep the trigger down with a switch on the power cable to turn it on and off.

Is there a better way to do this or would I be better off buying a new router?

Getting wood in my part of the country is a right pain in the rear. All the local mills are basically pine pine or pine so there not much use for the hardwood I would like to use.

Could you guys recommend a good supplier that has a good website that can be ordered from?

Last one for now is my scroll saw. Got it as a birthday present but the current blade it in has a tendency to grab the material and bounce it up and down and it seems to run off to the left very easily. I think this in part might be because of my lack of skill on it but I was wondering if it could be the blade.

It has a pin blade so I am wondering what blade can be used as a good all rounder?

Thanks for having a read. I am sure I will learn a lot from here.

Welcome from west Wales. I have similar problems with timber supplies, comes from living in the backwoods I'm afraid.
Router, always the best option, IMO, is a router permanently fitted to the table, saves all the hastle of changing and permits you to by-pass that damn switch and replace it with a suitably positioned NVR unit, which is much safer as well.
Scroll saw, your problem is typical of the use of cheap blades, if the blade is a cheapy, dump it and try again with a good quality blade. Makes a world of difference, DAMHIK!

Roy.

What parts of the North East are you from? My parents come from that area too - My Mum is from Gamrie and my Dad from The Brough.

You router sounds like a Dewalt, same as mine. I have the 621K and worked fine in a table. It was a bit of a faff with the switch. You can use the cable tie or what I used to do was leave it switched 'on' but use a NVR switch to turn it off and on, that way you don't have to work the switch all the time.

hi John welcome to the site being a newbie myself i have found this site to be most helpful
Axminster tools do a great NVR switch that is very easy to attach to your router table i too have used a cable tie on my router good luck and look forward to more posts on your progress.

Cheers guys for the welcome and the info.

I am near Dundee Jensmith so get the best of both worlds close to the beachs and the hills its a stunning part of Scotland.

I like the idea for the switch will have look into that.

I thought you said "north east Scotland" - Dundee is equatorial for us shiverers up north of Aberdeen! But welcome, anyway.
If you do get further north ever, there are two or three timber suppliers up here who vary from expensive to cheapish, and helpful to unhelpful, with little correlation between the two....
PM me if you want any details

Have you tried Trojan yet, as reclaimers they have have surprising bits from time to time. I know from experience that they cut and dress lots of mahogany, mostly for building finishings, but they end up with bits from demolitions, but you would basicly have to know your wood and have a thick skin, John can be a bit abrupt, if he's still in charge.
Oh and Rembrand at Shielhill does some unsorted timbers, worth phoning first though, if they are still in business that is, don't hold me to it.
Also you might want to try Oastlers joinery, they do a lot in oak, if you dimension needs are small, they could be a good bet, also ask them if they know of anyone else who may be of use to you...bosshogg :)

Also, Direct Line Timber on Liff Rd. Alan is a keen wood man and will help you where he can. Might not be the cheapest, but he can get a lot of odd kind of timbers.
Special Timber Products (Part of rembrand) is good too. They can get dressed oak, beech etc. They are on Baldovie industrial estate next to the incinerator.

geertswaans":1pqjlovu said:
Also, Direct Line Timber on Liff Rd. Alan is a keen wood man and will help you where he can. Might not be the cheapest, but he can get a lot of odd kind of timbers.
Special Timber Products (Part of rembrand) is good too. They can get dressed oak, beech etc. They are on Baldovie industrial estate next to the incinerator.

Fantastic I am in Dundee today so will drop by and have a look.

Welcome to the forum John from Tropical Kent. :wink:

Two of your questions I have answers for.

If you want to remove your router but want to hold the switch without your hand, try one of those black and orange spring clamps that come in B&Q for 50p for a million....they work brilliantly and easy to take off again.

As for scroll saw blades...I find the spiral cut ones far less grabby. You might want to ask the same question in the Scroll Saw Forum though as they are the true experts!

Jim

Latest posts

Back