Introducing WorkshopBuddy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorkshopBuddy

MR
UKW Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Jon - the developer of WorkshopBuddy - an online cutlist optimizer tool for woodworkers. I decided to start work on the project when I was converting my van to a camper, which involved a lot of plywood and insulation board cutting.

I'm advertising on UKWorkshop as there seem to be a lot of very experienced woodworkers and cabinet makers here, and I'd love to get some feedback and hopefully develop the tool you need.

It's free use for projects up to 20 parts, and you can upgrade for more professional functionality. I'm currently offering three months on the Hobby plan for just £3, it's usually £5 per month.

I know a lot of people use cutlistoptimizer dot com, which is a great site - I'm hoping to be a UK based alternative to them. WB can sometimes be quite a bit more efficient - I've recently done a benchmark which might be interesting.

Highlight features include:
  • Settings for rip / cross cut
  • Intuitive measurements
  • Ability to move parts around
  • Visualise offcuts
  • Export to various formats
I'm really keen to hear from users, so please do get in touch if you'd like to see some functionality or just have general feedback.

All the best,

Jon

I will have a look, will it be compatible with various design software, Fusion 360 for example. Like a plug in or is it a completely stand alone thing?
Not something I would use a lot but could be good.

Ollie

I will have a look, will it be compatible with various design software, Fusion 360 for example. Like a plug in or is it a completely stand alone thing?
Not something I would use a lot but could be good.

Ollie
Thanks Ollie

For Fusion360 there is an excellent plugin which exports a list of parts, and from there you can easily paste into WorkshopBuddy.

https://productdesignonline.com/tip...ate-parts-list-with-dimensions-in-fusion-360/
They have a free non-commercial licence.

Hope that helps

Hi everyone, I'm Jon - the developer of WorkshopBuddy - an online cutlist optimizer tool for woodworkers. I decided to start work on the project when I was converting my van to a camper, which involved a lot of plywood and insulation board cutting.

I'm advertising on UKWorkshop as there seem to be a lot of very experienced woodworkers and cabinet makers here, and I'd love to get some feedback and hopefully develop the tool you need.

It's free use for projects up to 20 parts, and you can upgrade for more professional functionality. I'm currently offering three months on the Hobby plan for just £3, it's usually £5 per month.

I know a lot of people use cutlistoptimizer dot com, which is a great site - I'm hoping to be a UK based alternative to them. WB can sometimes be quite a bit more efficient - I've recently done a benchmark which might be interesting.

Highlight features include:
  • Settings for rip / cross cut
  • Intuitive measurements
  • Ability to move parts around
  • Visualise offcuts
  • Export to various formats
I'm really keen to hear from users, so please do get in touch if you'd like to see some functionality or just have general feedback.

All the best,

Jon
Hi Jon, not normally my main line of work but have some fitted wardrobes and bedside tables to make for family, yes the dreaded family job..
Happy to give it a go but bear in mind my feedback will be from a one man band not a commercial shop
Hope it helps though
Sean.

Hi Jon, not normally my main line of work but have some fitted wardrobes and bedside tables to make for family, yes the dreaded family job..
Happy to give it a go but bear in mind my feedback will be from a one man band not a commercial shop
Hope it helps though
Sean.

Thanks Sean, know the feeling, fitted wardrobes have been on my list for quite a few years now! One-man-band feedback would be great, just hoping for a few people to try it out and see what they think.

Found this useful when I was doing some layout work on odd stock but .. it’s got one thing missing that I can’t see on the mobile version - duplicating parts ! If I want 8 No. 450x545 I have to enter each one on the list. Sometimes I will use a mobile and send to print PDF so it’s a really useful feature to have. Other than that - nice tool.!

feedback? A monthly charge when for many woodworkers, significant sheet material projects are n months apart? How about charging per... piece perhaps?
I know 'the other one' from previous use and it does save money.
Good luck with your project.

Found this useful when I was doing some layout work on odd stock but .. it’s got one thing missing that I can’t see on the mobile version - duplicating parts ! If I want 8 No. 450x545 I have to enter each one on the list. Sometimes I will use a mobile and send to print PDF so it’s a really useful feature to have. Other than that - nice tool.!

It sometimes can be a bit confusing on mobile due to the lack of space, but the third field is for quantity. Hopefully that helps

Cutlist_Optimizer___Calculator.png

feedback? A monthly charge when for many woodworkers, significant sheet material projects are n months apart? How about charging per... piece perhaps?
I know 'the other one' from previous use and it does save money.
Good luck with your project.
Thanks for your feedback, and completely understand your point. There is the option for 12 hour access - it's between £1-3 depending on the features you need.

This morning I launched a completely free cut list optimiser with no restrictions. It's called Cutlist Evolution.

This version will be more suitable for occasional users - it has a simpler user interface. It has both linear and sheet material settings.

It's hot off the press but I thought I wanted to mention it here first.

Enjoy!

Jon

Just saw this, appreciate the work involved and the need for revenue however I think the business model in acquiring that revenue is (in my opinion) possibly misplaced and even short term. It's a useful app and incredibly simple in presentation however I can see many people not being prepared to upfront cash on that basis as well - people are used to free app access theses days, especially when to them it looks simple (even though it's generally not).

Personally I would pitch the app to some of the larger organisations as a rolling developing resource for their customer base, branded within that orgs colours.

As an example to show my thinking;

...maybe pitch this at the likes of Kingfisher, who own B&Q and Screwfix. One supplies sheets materials and basic timber products and the other supplies tools and consumables along with extensive access to various levels of DIY and trades people across the UK. I would suggest that membership of Trade-point (B&Q) and / or trade membership within Screwfix would enable the access to the WorkshopBuddy app? Screwfix have their Electrifix and Plumbfix trade accounts, perhaps WorkshopBuddy can be their in for a 'Woodfix' account offering further value to their customer base? Maybe even call it the 'Firstfix' account to encompass multiple uses of the app, timber and plasterboard? You could argue they are all Firstfix accounts but that's one for Screwfix.

I'd keep the WorkshopBuddy brand name, just fly it under the livery of the target organisation is all. You have likely (I'm assuming) built a small following and user base to evidence the value of the app and it's brand to some extent. Negotiate exclusive upfront rights to the app being hosted on the respective websites and your consistent involvement of its development & integration; this may prove to be a potentially more financial stable and long term model.

Just my £0.02 worth, I'll get my coat.

Just saw this, appreciate the work involved and the need for revenue however I think the business model in acquiring that revenue is (in my opinion) possibly misplaced and even short term. It's a useful app and incredibly simple in presentation however I can see many people not being prepared to upfront cash on that basis as well - people are used to free app access theses days, especially when to them it looks simple (even though it's generally not).

Personally I would pitch the app to some of the larger organisations as a rolling developing resource for their customer base, branded within that orgs colours.

As an example to show my thinking;

...maybe pitch this at the likes of Kingfisher, who own B&Q and Screwfix. One supplies sheets materials and basic timber products and the other supplies tools and consumables along with extensive access to various levels of DIY and trades people across the UK. I would suggest that membership of Trade-point (B&Q) and / or trade membership within Screwfix would enable the access to the WorkshopBuddy app? Screwfix have their Electrifix and Plumbfix trade accounts, perhaps WorkshopBuddy can be their in for a 'Woodfix' account offering further value to their customer base? Maybe even call it the 'Firstfix' account to encompass multiple uses of the app, timber and plasterboard? You could argue they are all Firstfix accounts but that's one for Screwfix.

I'd keep the WorkshopBuddy brand name, just fly it under the livery of the target organisation is all. You have likely (I'm assuming) built a small following and user base to evidence the value of the app and it's brand to some extent. Negotiate exclusive upfront rights to the app being hosted on the respective websites and your consistent involvement of its development & integration; this may prove to be a potentially more financial stable and long term model.

Just my £0.02 worth, I'll get my coat.

This is really good advice, and I've been thinking along these lines myself recently. I've actually just launched a completely free tool in the last couple of days. Would be great to get your feedback.

Cutlist Evolution

The problem itself is fairly well known in computer science to be very difficult for current computers to solve, it's a branch of the 'bin packing problem', and I've spent around two years trying to figure out an efficient way of getting to an acceptable result in a short period of time. I had hoped the solution would be bought up by Amazon, but no luck so far!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bin_packing_problem
Appreciate you taking the time to send over your thoughts - thank you.

Back