Introducing WorkshopBuddy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Jon - the developer of WorkshopBuddy - an online cutlist optimizer tool for woodworkers. I decided to start work on the project when I was converting my van to a camper, which involved a lot of plywood and insulation board cutting.

I'm advertising on UKWorkshop as there seem to be a lot of very experienced woodworkers and cabinet makers here, and I'd love to get some feedback and hopefully develop the tool you need.

It's free use for projects up to 20 parts, and you can upgrade for more professional functionality. I'm currently offering three months on the Hobby plan for just £3, it's usually £5 per month.

I know a lot of people use cutlistoptimizer dot com, which is a great site - I'm hoping to be a UK based alternative to them. WB can sometimes be quite a bit more efficient - I've recently done a benchmark which might be interesting.

Highlight features include:
  • Settings for rip / cross cut
  • Intuitive measurements
  • Ability to move parts around
  • Visualise offcuts
  • Export to various formats
I'm really keen to hear from users, so please do get in touch if you'd like to see some functionality or just have general feedback.

All the best,

Jon

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
I will have a look, will it be compatible with various design software, Fusion 360 for example. Like a plug in or is it a completely stand alone thing?
Not something I would use a lot but could be good.

Ollie

Reaction score
I will have a look, will it be compatible with various design software, Fusion 360 for example. Like a plug in or is it a completely stand alone thing?
Not something I would use a lot but could be good.

Ollie
Thanks Ollie

For Fusion360 there is an excellent plugin which exports a list of parts, and from there you can easily paste into WorkshopBuddy.

They have a free non-commercial licence.

Hope that helps

Sean33

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Jon - the developer of WorkshopBuddy - an online cutlist optimizer tool for woodworkers. I decided to start work on the project when I was converting my van to a camper, which involved a lot of plywood and insulation board cutting.

I'm advertising on UKWorkshop as there seem to be a lot of very experienced woodworkers and cabinet makers here, and I'd love to get some feedback and hopefully develop the tool you need.

It's free use for projects up to 20 parts, and you can upgrade for more professional functionality. I'm currently offering three months on the Hobby plan for just £3, it's usually £5 per month.

I know a lot of people use cutlistoptimizer dot com, which is a great site - I'm hoping to be a UK based alternative to them. WB can sometimes be quite a bit more efficient - I've recently done a benchmark which might be interesting.

Highlight features include:
  • Settings for rip / cross cut
  • Intuitive measurements
  • Ability to move parts around
  • Visualise offcuts
  • Export to various formats
I'm really keen to hear from users, so please do get in touch if you'd like to see some functionality or just have general feedback.

All the best,

Jon
Hi Jon, not normally my main line of work but have some fitted wardrobes and bedside tables to make for family, yes the dreaded family job..
Happy to give it a go but bear in mind my feedback will be from a one man band not a commercial shop
Hope it helps though
Sean.

Reaction score
Hi Jon, not normally my main line of work but have some fitted wardrobes and bedside tables to make for family, yes the dreaded family job..
Happy to give it a go but bear in mind my feedback will be from a one man band not a commercial shop
Hope it helps though
Sean.

Thanks Sean, know the feeling, fitted wardrobes have been on my list for quite a few years now! One-man-band feedback would be great, just hoping for a few people to try it out and see what they think.

PDW125

Established Member
Reaction score

Found this useful when I was doing some layout work on odd stock but .. it’s got one thing missing that I can’t see on the mobile version - duplicating parts ! If I want 8 No. 450x545 I have to enter each one on the list. Sometimes I will use a mobile and send to print PDF so it’s a really useful feature to have. Other than that - nice tool.!

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
feedback? A monthly charge when for many woodworkers, significant sheet material projects are n months apart? How about charging per... piece perhaps?
I know 'the other one' from previous use and it does save money.
Good luck with your project.

Reaction score
Found this useful when I was doing some layout work on odd stock but .. it’s got one thing missing that I can’t see on the mobile version - duplicating parts ! If I want 8 No. 450x545 I have to enter each one on the list. Sometimes I will use a mobile and send to print PDF so it’s a really useful feature to have. Other than that - nice tool.!

It sometimes can be a bit confusing on mobile due to the lack of space, but the third field is for quantity. Hopefully that helps

Cutlist_Optimizer___Calculator.png

Reaction score
feedback? A monthly charge when for many woodworkers, significant sheet material projects are n months apart? How about charging per... piece perhaps?
I know 'the other one' from previous use and it does save money.
Good luck with your project.
Thanks for your feedback, and completely understand your point. There is the option for 12 hour access - it's between £1-3 depending on the features you need.

Reaction score
This morning I launched a completely free cut list optimiser with no restrictions. It's called Cutlist Evolution.

This version will be more suitable for occasional users - it has a simpler user interface. It has both linear and sheet material settings.

It's hot off the press but I thought I wanted to mention it here first.

Enjoy!

Jon