Introducing a one armed wood worker to turning - help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I was up in Skye recently and went to see a friend of a friend - met this guy several times over the years - who suffered a stroke 10 years ago and is effectively paralysed down the right hand side. He was a joiner and is very active still in the flat world, and has recently re-done the family kitchen and built a new back door. His workshop is well equipped and his wife helps him with lifting, etc. when required.

He expressed an interest in wood turning, and I suggested when he was down in Edinburgh next (the end of October) he came over and I would see what we could do.

I do a bit of instruction to beginners at the local work working club but really do need some guidance as to where to start with this. Can anyone give me some pointers or contacts with turners who are similarly limited ?

Thanks
Rob

There is a one armed wood turner but I cant remember his name but he had extra long handles on his chisels which he tucked under his stump for the want of a better word he turned out some amazing stuff including an amazing set candle stick which comprised of 4 parts he was in the woodturning mag a good few years ago sorry I cant be of more help but I'm sure some one on here will have the answers for you

Hi

I frequently turn spindles one handed, (just for fun). It's not particularly difficult as long as you take fine cuts and pay attention to the presentation of the tool to the work, (get this right and the tool will naturally progress along the work).
If you are a turner I would suggest that you have a go at turning one handed, once you refine your skills you will be able to pass them on.

Regards Mick

Spindle":1quzy9iq said:
Hi

I frequently turn spindles one handed, (just for fun). It's not particularly difficult as long as you take fine cuts and pay attention to the presentation of the tool to the work, (get this right and the tool will naturally progress along the work).
If you are a turner I would suggest that you have a go at turning one handed, once you refine your skills you will be able to pass them on.

Regards Mick

Indeed, when turning finials and the like, its quite normal to turn with one hand and have the other behind the work. Not sure I fancy the idea with roughing out a lump of ragged tree trunk though.

Someone obviously does it from lack of choice but maybe using an aid like a hollowing device might be a good idea. With a cutter turned right instead of left, it should be quite effective.

Long handle held in the armpit perhaps? Might be a good idea for a two handed turner too.

A small and basic metal turning lathe, (Older generation) used to some extent as a pattern makers lathe could be an option to provide some of the basic truing and boring functions.

Would need some modifications to attach a suitable tool rest for use with standard wood tools for the curvy pieces but the normal tool post and saddle would be fine for a lot of work such as boxes. And of course a four jaw self centring scroll chuck fitted instead of the normal engineering three jaw. Mind you for such things as Pen making a metal turning three jaw chuck is fine.

Some way to stabilise the handle end of tools seems to be the main issue. If his whole right side is affected then tucking it under his arm might not work. Maybe a belt with a locating "socket" a bit like one of those flag bearing belts?
Best person to ask is probably him as he seems to have adapted his general workshop skills well.

Rodger Foden lives in the same village as me and is one of the most talented wood turners I have ever met.

Back